VMware Communities
dbecker70
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does Workstation Player 14 support port forwarding, and if so how do you set it up?

I am using VMware Workstation Player 14 on a windows 7 host. I would like to setup port forwarding so that I can ssh into the linux guest from other machines. Searches on this forum and elsewhere on the internet indicate that - at least in earlier versions - this could be done via the vmnetnat.conf file, but I don't see this file anywhere in my installation. I have also seen references to a "Virtual Network Editor", but I don't see this installed either. I see no relevant options under the Virtual Machines Settings. I am currently using the free version for evaluation.

So ... does Workstation Player 14 support port forwarding, and if so how do you set it up?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, it supports it.  Yes, you need to use the Virtual Network Editor.  No, that utility is not installed as part of the Player package.

Search the forum for instructions on extracting the VNE from the Workstation Pro package.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, it supports it.  Yes, you need to use the Virtual Network Editor.  No, that utility is not installed as part of the Player package.

Search the forum for instructions on extracting the VNE from the Workstation Pro package.

0 Kudos
dbecker70
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the response, I now have this working. What I did was to install VMware Workstation Pro 14, which as you said includes the Virtual Network Editor. VNE doesn't require a license key to run, so I was able to run it and configure port forwarding. I did have to manually open up the port in Windows Firewall in order for other machines to access it.

0 Kudos