VMware Communities
jms515
Contributor
Contributor

Does VMWare 6 Player prevent access to host?

So I have been using VMWare player free.   I actually use a product from a company that licenses VMWare Player 4 and bundles it with their image but I recently upgraded to free version of 6 after using version 5 without issue.

I realize with 6 they came out with a "Plus" version so did that take away features of the free version?

My issue is that I run tomcat through linux in vmware.  I then use IE from the host to access the server and get into my app,   Since running an image in 6 and then downgrading back to 4, I no longer can access the server running in my linux os on the vmware nor can I ping it.

If I use a fresh clean image in 4 it works fine.  I am thinking my opening an image in 6 I somehow corrupted it or restricted this ability.   I currently now have version 4 on my machine.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Nope, nothing removed/blocked.  Are you using a static IP for your guest?  Uninstalling/reinstalling Player also removes and re-adds the virtual network adapters, and usually randomly generates a new subnet for each one.  So if your VM was configured with a static IP on the other subnet, you'll need to change it.

0 Kudos