VMware Communities
EvanVanVan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do I want a x64 or x86 linux mint image?

I'm not sure even after some searching... I see VMware Player runs in *32 bit mode, even on my x64 machine.  So when I d/l my linux image, do I want to install a x32 or x64 image?

Right now I've got x64 installed (just installed/setup last night), but its running pretty slowly and I'm trying to figure out why.  I got the full image off of the linux mint site.

My host computer (win 7 x64) only has 4 gigs of ram, so I' can really only spare 1 for my guest OS (One cause of the problem I'm thinking)

and I think the HD size is set up dynamically so that it take's what it needs, but right now my Host PC is pretty full so I'm moving/deleting some stuff to free up space...(Another cause of the problem possibly)

Any suggestions? Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware runs a 32bit GUI and 64bit drivers and executables on your Win 7 64 host.

You should be able to use a 32 or 64bit Linux guest but I would use a 32bit guest as it needs less resources

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware runs a 32bit GUI and 64bit drivers and executables on your Win 7 64 host.

You should be able to use a 32 or 64bit Linux guest but I would use a 32bit guest as it needs less resources

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As you already mentioned you have low Host disk space and this definitely has a negative impact on running Virtual Machines so you certainly should rectify that situation. You should probably Defrag the Host Hard Drive while you're at it.

You might also give VectorLinux a try as it is very fast.  Also unless you have a specific need to run a 64-bit version then I'd take Ulli's suggestion and run 32-bit VM.

EvanVanVan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, both very helpful answers...It does seem to be running better now

0 Kudos