VMware Communities
BIG1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Disk Expansion

Hi,

in VmWare I have a virtual machine (OS : XP Pro). I want to expand system disk (C:) because there is not enough. But when I expand it, it is a new drive, to give a lettre and format it. Then it can not help since C: is not expanded.

Is there any option that I ignore when expanding ?

is it realy possible ? If yes how ?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
samansalehi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you see the Free Space on Disk Management of your xp, just use a software for changing the size of the partition, the EASEUS Partition Master 6.1 and change the size, if you did not see the adding size storage, just edit the harddrive on vmware.

If it is useful, would u please mark it as "Helpful" or "Correct"?

Thank u

Saman

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

You will want to use something like Dell's extpart to extend the C: drive on XP.  There is no native capability to extend the OS partition in XP.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To expand th system drive on XP you either need to boot the VM from a partition utility like gparted or from a Vista/Windows 7 DVD and run diskpart from the recovery command line.

André

0 Kudos
samansalehi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you see the Free Space on Disk Management of your xp, just use a software for changing the size of the partition, the EASEUS Partition Master 6.1 and change the size, if you did not see the adding size storage, just edit the harddrive on vmware.

If it is useful, would u please mark it as "Helpful" or "Correct"?

Thank u

Saman

0 Kudos