VMware Communities
badouglas11
Contributor
Contributor

Disable easy_install for Centos6

Hi.

Trying to do a vmplayer install of Centos6.

It appears that Centos6 uses EasyInstall, (Easy Install), which means the user can't select the different aspects of the install process (packages/timezone, etc..)..

Different articles imply that it's possible to create a base VM of an empty VM, and then do a subsequent install of Centos6 in the base VM.

Can someone provide pointers to how this works, or point me to articles specifying how this occurs.

Thanks

ps. The overall goal is to create an autogen process to automatically build the vmplayer/Centos6 VM from the cmdline.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
orthohin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The VMware Player Easy Install is pretty useful but in certain  cases, we want it disabled.  Inside VMware Player settings, there is not  an option to disable Easy Install so here is a quick trick/tip to by  pass:

1. First start VMware Player
  2. Create A New Virtual Machine
  3. Select the option “I will install the operating system later”
  4. Once done, your new virtual machine will be added to your virtual library, under Home.
  5. Double click on your new Virtual Machine to start it.
  6. It will next say the OS is not installed and provide an option to insert the OS installation media.
  7. Simply click on Change CD/DVD Settings to select your media then Restart VM!

Regards,
Milton

Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window
0 Kudos
adelisa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi badouglas11,

Could you please follw this link .

http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2011/centos-6-netinstall-network-installation/.

" Affirmation without discipline is the beginning of delusion."
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

badouglas11 wrote:  ps. The overall goal is to create an autogen process to automatically build the vmplayer/Centos6 VM from the cmdline.

See my reply: Re: Auto Generate a VM for Centos6

0 Kudos
badouglas11
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

Tried the exact steps as presented in the diagram. There was no ability to "double click" on the VM to do a reinstall.

What I was able to do, was to start the VM creation process, and select the "install the OS later option"

The nest steps were:

Go to the page with the hardware options:

Select the cd/iso option, and select the centos6 dvd1 iso to connect to the virtual drive/image

Select Save

Go ahead and select the rest of the steps to build the VM

This then allows you to manually build the VM, without the easy install process.

In the end, the resulting VM dir has the vmdk/.vmx files. It will not have an autoinst.iso file.

Thanks

AJPAC33
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much!!! Badouglas11

0 Kudos