VMware Communities
StakFallT01
Contributor
Contributor

DirectX Graphical Glitches

Anyone know an reason when I try to run Vindictus I get these kind of graphical glitches? (See attached pictures)

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 (Host), I've tried XP Pro 64-bit (Guest) and Vista 64-bit (Guest) neither one seems to really make any difference... I also get TONS of video flickering, but that's besides that point; I've seen alot of other people that have that issue. Not overlly concerned about that one, as just resizing the window seems to "lock" the video into place. The one I'm concerned about and that's preventing me from running things is the triangle glitch issues.

It's like a kelidoscope of triangles. Back in the days of the Voodoo cards, it used to occur if your card was getting overly hot, but I definately do not beleive that to be the case since I do not hear my cpu fan kicking into overdrive, the system is responsive, and vindictus is using DX 9, not even 10. It should be MORE than capable of handling that). anyhow, these are my system specs (I can give more if needed, I kinda kept it to ones I think are really relevant):

Intel i7 950 3.06ghz Quad Core 64-bit

ASUS Rampage Gene II Motherboard

6gb Tri-Channel DDR3

ATI Radeon 4890 PCI-E 1024mb GDDR5

Fully updated both Guest OS'es and Linux Host. 3D Rendering appears to be workign properly under Linux for me (Using the ATI Propritary drivers; not the latest since I read that Workstation works better with an older driver; I was on the newest and that didn't help). Let's see... what else... Oh and VM tools on both XP 64 and Vista 64 guests are updated. I think the very foundational stuff I pretty much covered already on my own. Hoping for some silver bullet or something...

At first I thought, well it's probably just not supported yet, the game, after all is in beta, just recently open beta; but then I realized, wait a min. It's the source engine, and using DX9. I would imagine Half-Life 2 and Counter Strike work; granted Vindictus is newer than those two, but we're still only talking about DX 9. DX 9 has been out a while now. I know the SDK I use for my game engine that I been working on, uses a 2008 SDK of 9. So it's at least 2 years old. On the surface, sure the game is new, the natural instinct is to say "It's new, of course it's not going to work", but when you start really thinking about it, there's not really any reason for it not to be playable or something be "tweaked" to have it playable. Unfortunately Vindictus's config file is encoded and there's no utility to modify it outside of the game. (On a side note: Who he he11 does that?? Who writes a game and encrypts their cfg file for video options?? What is wrong with these people...)

Additional notes (And rambling): I did notice in Lord of the Rings Online, I had issues with my character on character selection screen, and even during creation not show up. By this I mean the character was completely invisible. (Also, it was mentioned in another thread somewhere, I don't have the link handy, sorry; that post effects mess up the video; last time I tried it, it indeed had an issue, not a big deal, I run it in wine and it works perfectly; so I have a solution there). Anyhow, getting back on topic, a few things I have noticed throughout my use of Workstation/Player that may or may not be tied togeteher are, I think the issue seems to be stemed to some sort of VertexBuffer issue. I know with my game engine, just rendering two textured cubes, every now and then I get a few frames of black lines, almost like the graphics driver abstraction layer is not handling building the vertex buffer properly (Or some weird bug with the indicies of the index buffers not being converted properly, as these lines show up outside of the cube, combine that with the fact of my character not showing up (yet NPCs do) in LoTRO. Now with my engine, I rolled my own mesh classes, I did not use the helper functions; I imagine LoTRO did the same. I'm wondering about Vindictus... (At the time of writing this, my thoughts are I'm wondering if there's maybe something that the helper functions do that allow better compatibility; or maybe it's managed code or some other type of thing shrug)

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I also meant to

mention that I don't think it's my video card overheating because the

game runs liquid smooth behind all the trangle-mess and the sound

doesn't chop at all...

EDIT 2: Had to verify my system specs, can't beleive I couldn't remember the exact specifics...

0 Kudos
1 Reply
StakFallT01
Contributor
Contributor

(Found the edit button - updated original post)

0 Kudos