VMware Communities
AB123451
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Data error Cyclic redundancy check while expanding disk

I am using VMWare Workstation Player 15 and am trying to expand the disk for one of my machines. I have done this without issues in the past. However, whenever I try defragmenting or expanding this particular machine now, I get a message saying: data error (Cyclic redundancy check). This issue seems to be specific to the machine, since when trying to defragment other machines, it works fine. Aside from this, the machine works fine.

So far, I have attempted to reinstall VMWare Tools, run dskchk on the guest, and remove and old VMEM file that seemed to have survived a hard system reboot (I suspect this started it), all without success. I am currently considering running chksdsk on the host tonight, though I don't really expect this to help, since it seems to be machine-specific.

I'm sure there's a lot of info missing, but I don't know what is and isn't relevant to the case, so feel free to request more. I haven't seen this issue being brought up anywhere else, so I hope someone is able to assist me. Any advice?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>> ... though I don't really expect this to help, since it seems to be machine-specific.
In the end, the .vmdk files are backed by the physical sorage, so there's a good chance that this has logical, or even physical errors.

Are you able to copy the VM's files/folder to another disk to see whether this throws the same errors?

André

View solution in original post

AB123451
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Never mind, it's fixed! I was a bit suspicious my first chkdsk took all of about 12 seconds, so I decided to rerun it with the /x/r options enabled as well (the initial one was chkdsk D : /f only). It took a bit longer, which I took to be a good sign in this case, and it found the bad clusters. Defragmenting the VM now went off without a hitch. The VM is also still functioning.

It did report that "an unspecified error occurred (766f6c756d652e63 470)", which is a bit unsettling, though I can't find any relevant info on why that would be. The scenarios that I can find online don't apply here (the system was already powered on since it is my secondary drive and there are no system files located on it), so I will be digging a bit deeper. At least everything works now, so that's good.

I noticed that the map button under VM settings -> Hardware -> Hard Disk -> Disk Utilities is now no longer greyed out. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but it might be useful info for more knowledgable people.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>> ... though I don't really expect this to help, since it seems to be machine-specific.
In the end, the .vmdk files are backed by the physical sorage, so there's a good chance that this has logical, or even physical errors.

Are you able to copy the VM's files/folder to another disk to see whether this throws the same errors?

André

AB123451
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the response. I just tried to copy it to back it up and mess around a bit, but it got stuck on the .vmdk file.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you have a backup application which supports block level backup, I'd recommend that you do this before running chkdsk.
For the VM, try backing up important files from withing the guest OS.

André

0 Kudos
AB123451
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Chkdsk was also unable to find any errors... Right now all I can come up with is remaking the VM and then deleting (forcefully if need be) the old one, or god forbid formatting my HDD. Any alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
AB123451
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Never mind, it's fixed! I was a bit suspicious my first chkdsk took all of about 12 seconds, so I decided to rerun it with the /x/r options enabled as well (the initial one was chkdsk D : /f only). It took a bit longer, which I took to be a good sign in this case, and it found the bad clusters. Defragmenting the VM now went off without a hitch. The VM is also still functioning.

It did report that "an unspecified error occurred (766f6c756d652e63 470)", which is a bit unsettling, though I can't find any relevant info on why that would be. The scenarios that I can find online don't apply here (the system was already powered on since it is my secondary drive and there are no system files located on it), so I will be digging a bit deeper. At least everything works now, so that's good.

I noticed that the map button under VM settings -> Hardware -> Hard Disk -> Disk Utilities is now no longer greyed out. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but it might be useful info for more knowledgable people.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Spinning disk? and it is now starting to get bad clusters?
Not even being able to copy some files off the disk? (this is the one that is the strongest signal)

More often than not these are signs that the disk is on its last legs. In your case I would look for a replacement disk, but if you want to see if you're lucky then at least make regular copies from all the data that is on that disk.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos