VMware Communities
MKOA
Contributor
Contributor

DOWNLOAD: SECURITY ONION ISO

I HAVE VMWARE WORKSTATION 16.

I AM TRYING TO DOWNLOAD (SECURITYONION-2.3.70-GRAFANA ISO).

SECURITY ONION:  8,266,752 KB 9 (DISK IMAGE FILE)

I KEEP GETTING THE MESSAGE, "NOT ENOUGH SPACE TO INSTALL SECURITY ONION. YOU NEED AT LEAST 99 GB TO PROCEED."

ANYONE CAN HELP ME ON THIS ISSUE.

I ALREADY USING AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE WITH 5 TB.

MY LAPTOP:  (WINDOWS 10 HOME) 8.00 GB RAM

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm confused - are you getting the error before the download completes or after trying to install it? What filesystem type is your download directory on?

0 Kudos
MKOA
Contributor
Contributor

I download the security onion ISO from github onto my external drive with no issues.

Then, I startup the VMware Workstation Pro 16.

Within the VMware, I select the ISO and finish up the editing process.

Then, I press the play button, and the security onion displays on the VMware screen and begins to boot up.

Within 55 seconds, a message comes up: "not enough space to install security onion. You need at least 99 GB to proceed."

So, I cannot go any further with the ISO download. 

Please help.

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

@MKOA 

I take it that you are trying to create a new VM, with using Security Onion distro. And you are on the stage of installing the operating system (that is no downloading). Correct me, if this is not accurate.

For a fluent workflow, you create the VM first and edit&make sure that everything is OK after that. You cannot change everything in a consistent manner, if you don't do it like that.

Then, only on the second stage, you attach your OS ISO (if it isn't), make sure that CD is powered ON in the boot and then boot it up in order to install the OS.

Now, you get the disk full announcement on the very last step.

You probably just don't have enough disk space. Just go to your VM settings and check that your first/only virtual disk has enough space to hold the new OS. You cannot perhaps change it, but it is easy to create a new VM with a proper disk space. 

Give it 150 GB or something, do NOT pre-allocate it and use "slices", not a single file. These are the recommendation for simple and fluent use ... if you have a special case (like a high performance demand from a large DB system), you would know the need already.

If you need more space for data, create another disk. Another disk is much easier, in most OS's, to expand afterwards - OS disk is harder to expand, because it is always in use while the VM is running. But this second disk is not within what you initially asked about - just for a tip which may or may not be relevant in your further use.

Tags (1)
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What size is the virtual disk in the VM settings, and why did you post in ALL CAPS?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog