VMware Communities
AleTib
Contributor
Contributor

DMI/EFI parameters: how to customize them?

Hi,

I want to have a VM that is as close as possible to the physical host I want to virtualize. Have an ESXi host but I started with wks player as it seems easier to inherit some properties from the host.

vms parameters I've found after some days of research (mostly taken from discussion on making MacOS run on a PC):

smBIOS.assetTag = "XXXXXXX"

SMBIOS.model="Precision 5530"

SMBIOS.reflectHost = "TRUE"

SMBIOS.noOEMStrings = "TRUE"

smbios.addHostVendor = "TRUE"

serialNumber.reflectHost = "TRUE"

board-id.reflectHost = "TRUE"

hw.model.reflectHost = "TRUE"

these parameters though are not completely doing the job; below a table extracted using HWinfo of what matches and what doesn't (physical machine on the right, VM on the left):pastedImage_3.png

on ESXi it's even worse because many of those parameters don't seem to work but we'll come back to that later. My main focus by now is on the BIOS and mainboard.

continuum​ had a look to your great guide and some of the mentioned vmx parameters aren't mentioned: perhaps you may want to add them;) being the expert on the topic: any other that good exist to fix the parts highlighted in yellow?

I think there's an option to have the EFI ROM (reported as BIOS) to be modified here:

https://files.homepagemodules.de/b602300/f16t6544p111158n4_GHqTKNQC.png

but I really hope this can be modified through vmx parameters rather than modifying the ROM.

Thx!

Tags (4)
4 Replies
CameronVM
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is an old thread but did you ever find a solution using the vmx file to do this? If not how did you get on editing EFI64.ROM? I’m looking to do a very similar thing but struggling and not many solutions online

0 Kudos
jenrrys
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a solution to this thread? Can someone please help?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Help ? - with what ???
If there is one topic that is not suitable for lame #metoo follow up questions it is this one.
Folks often call me via skype fpr help with this stuff.
Typically it then takes hours until you guys stop lieing about the purpose for the request.
When that is out of the way it takes more hours until we are given a list of steps you already tried yourself.

So seriously - for anybody that is looking for serious help with this matter - do you homework first.
Show use the vmx-file modifications you already tried.
Tells us which BIOS-editors you tried so far.
Show us the originals and your hexedited resource-files and most important: give us some good reasons why you think you need to do this at all.

I dont think that trying to run 10 more copies of any ego-shooter game just to kill your virtual enemies faster is a good reason.
I dont think that trying to run an illegal copy of a software to read a cars-self-diagnostic messages is a good reason.
You may have a good reason though - so start with an explanation. And  invest some effort in your question !!!

If I decide to help you I may spend hours with you via Teamviewer - you dont get that with a lame "please help"

No personal insult intended ....

Ulli

AleTib
Contributor
Contributor

@continuumSeen your message right now. Whatever it is that you were referring you: my post was about running a corporate image in a guest rather than as a host because there are horrible issues with HW drivers (realtek waves software eating up CPU, preventing C-States etc. just to make an example) that IT doesn't care to fix (and that 2+ years later are still there on new OS/HW) as they only appear in a few circumstances. As the Corp Image is locked well enough and prevents elevation, as the software doesn't need direct access to HW (as long as I can pass audio for meetings and a USB webcam) that's a perfect solution to prevent over-heating, thermalthrottling and a multitude of other issues.

That being said, even when it comes to "show the originals, I'm sure you're cheating!", vmx files can be edited 🙂
I really don't see the sense of your rant; it didn't help anyone, didn't give a good image of the community and surely won't refrain people from metoo asks.

Perhaps next time just don't give for granted you not know The Truth and just save energies to help someone you'd like to help 😉