VMware Communities
badouglas11
Contributor
Contributor

Creating a VM Appliance for Download

Hi.

Creating a test appliance consisting of a VMWare VM, running on vmplayer.

I'm looking for additional information on how to craft an app that the user can download and run as a VM appliance.

Is the only/acceptable way to accomplish this (in a free way), to allow the user to download the vm files in a dir, and run the vmx using vmplayer?

I've currently got a dir with (vmx, vmdk)

Pointers/Comments are welcome.

Thanks

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

in vmware workstation you can package the virtual machine with vmware player included. i'm do not think you can do this with vmware player.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
badouglas11
Contributor
Contributor

Hey.

VM Workstation isn't a free app. Vmplayer is. Which is why I'm trying to see if there's a way to package/build an appliance in a different manner.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

if you need to package it once only you could use the trial on workstation

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

what is a VM appliance ?

you mean a ACE-package or an OVF package ?

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
badouglas11
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Continuum.

I'm not sure of the correct Vmware term, but I basically have an VM app(vmx/vmdk files) that I can run now, using vmplayer. It contains/runs my test VM/OS. However, if I want to allow a user to download, and run this in a packaged manner, what do I have to do?

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to "package" what I have, so a user can simply download the "package/files" and then riun the app on their server (linux/windows) and effectively have the same VM/Os that I created.

So, I'm looking for steps/docs/pointers to how to accomplish this in a free manner if possible. If there are no free solutions, then what is available?

Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

IMHO the best way to do that is zip - at least every time I download a pre-made VM from the internet and see that they simply zipped the VM I appreciate it.

There also exists a ovf-tool that packages the VMs but I do not like the results - as they often do not work.

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
badouglas11
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Continuum.

So, if I understand, you're saying that the basic VM Appliance that you download/run is essentially some zipped files.

As an example:

I have:

autoinst.iso vmf.vmdk vmf.vmsd vmf.vmxf vmware-0.log

vmf.nvram vmf.vmdk.lck vmf.vmx vmf.vmx.lck vmware.log

in a test VM.

I then delete extraneous files, to get to:

vmf.vmdk vmf.vmx

(are these the required files, or do I need any of the others?)

These files are then zip/tar(ed) to get a gzipped file, which is then placed on the server for download.

The user then downloads the zipped file, unzips it, and then runs it by:

vmplayer foo.vmx

Is this pretty much the basic process? Is there a way to combine the vmplayer/zipped files so the user simply runs the file? (Doubt this exists)

Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Yep - you got it.

If you want to obscure everything into a single file then you can either use ACE-packages or OVF-format.

I would not use any of them if you want to makesure that the result really works

0 Kudos
badouglas11
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Continuum,

Ok, makes sense.

Can you confirm/clarify for me exactly what files are required to be zipped for download for the VM Appliance? As well as what the permissions of the downloaded/unzipped files should be.

Really appreciate all of your help on this.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You cannot include the VMware Player application installer unless you first get a license from VMware to redistribute it.

If your VM does not have any snapshots then the only files you need to zip up are the .vmx and .vmdk files. Make sure you shrink the virtual hard drive before packaging it. I'd also do a ReadMe file and include it. BTW There are standards for distributing Virtual Appliances and if you're only allowing select users access to what you've created then I wouldn't worry about the standards to much.

0 Kudos
badouglas11
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Woody/Continuum!!

Thanks for your replies. I've got enough to keep testing this.

On the server/test side, I can:

-Create a VM/OS Install process, completely automated start/finish

-Script/Change the ks.cfg as required (via script)

-Add additional files via the kickstart (ks.cfg)

-Setup client VM processes to start (chkconfig, etc..)

I still need to test:

-The installation/setup/running of cron scripts on the VM so they start/run when a user downloads the VM.

-The virtual vmnet1/8 setup on the user's host box. (Is this automatically set when the user fires

up >> vmplayer foo.vmx)

Oh, is there a way to configure the VM Appliance/client to have an internal static IP on the VM's eth0. And

is there a way to set the host side vmnet1/8 to be static, instead of coming from the vmware/vmplayer

dhcp?

Anything else you guys can think off/offer on this??

Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

you need static IPs inside the guest for vmnet1 and vmnet8 ?

that is a bad idea - as the vmnet1 and vmnet8 range will vary on every users setup

0 Kudos
badouglas11
Contributor
Contributor

As to the static IP for vmnet 1/8. I'm not sure these need to be static/dynamic.

In all honesty, the user won't be interfacing with the VM/App. The internal processes for the VM, will run, and connect back to the master server/services. But I'm curious as to if/how it can be done.

thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

if the users don't have to interact with the VM then using a DHCP address should work I guess - but then you must also use DHCP in your master-VM

0 Kudos