VMware Communities
jazzman007
Contributor
Contributor

Crazy bridged network behavior

I'm using VMware player 3.0.0 build-203739 with an XP Pro laptop as the host, and the guest is also XP Pro. What I'm trying to accomplish is have the host connected to one VPN and the guest connected to another VPN. This worked fine using VirtualBox, but now that I've migrated to Player things are behaving strangely.

The first problem is that when neither is connected to their VPNs...with the guest set to use bridged networking the guest has no connectivity...but it did get an IP address on the host network via DHCP! It is unable to ping anything on the host network.

It gets even stranger...once I connect the host to its VPN, the guest is now able to communicate via the host network! Both VPNs are set to route all traffic through the VPN, so I initially thought that it was routing the guest through the host's VPN network. A tracert confirmed the opposite...that the guest's traffic is going out through the host network and not the host VPN! I suspected that the bridged network was bridging with the VPN adapter, but even after changing it to explicitly bind to the wireless adapter this was still working as described above.

So at this point I'm thinking that it may be due to the different filters that are on the network connections. In addition to the VMware Bridge Protocol, the other non-standard filters include a "McAfee NDIS Intermediate Filter", a "Deterministic Network Enhancer", and an "Eacfit Driver". The last one is related to the VPN, which throws a fit if it is not enabled on all interfaces.

Is there any sort of priority on the filters? It just seems very, very strange that the guest can talk to the host network only once the host has connected to the VPN.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

John

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies