VMware Communities
Schmiddt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cores per Socket option not available, Cores don't show up

Hello everybody.
I'm running into the problem, that I can't get the correct number of cores to show up in my Windows 10 VM. I'm using the VMware Workstation 16 Player and no matter the ammount of processor cores I assign, the maximum number that actually shows up in my Windows VM is 2 Cores.
For some reason I also do not have the options to specifically assign the number of actual CPUs and the Cores per Socket as seen from the screenshot below. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 in my system, so there should be plenty of cores available.
Can anybody help me out, please?

Number of cores.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can do one of two things

Shut down the VM. Edit the VMX.

numvcpus = "8"
cpuid.coresPerSocket = "4"

In this example, this means the VM will have 2 virtual sockets as 2 virtual sockets x 4 cores per socket = 8 vCPUs

Second option, download and install a 30 day evaluation of VMware Workstation Pro. There are more options available in the VM settings without having to manually edit the VMX. Workstation Pro also lets you create virtual disks with pre-allocation. You also get the Virtual Network Editor. After the eval period expires, you won't be able to run a VM from the Workstation Pro UI but the VM can still run on VMware Player (Player is also installed in the eval). You can still continue to create new VMs and edit VM settings using the Workstation Pro UI.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can do one of two things

Shut down the VM. Edit the VMX.

numvcpus = "8"
cpuid.coresPerSocket = "4"

In this example, this means the VM will have 2 virtual sockets as 2 virtual sockets x 4 cores per socket = 8 vCPUs

Second option, download and install a 30 day evaluation of VMware Workstation Pro. There are more options available in the VM settings without having to manually edit the VMX. Workstation Pro also lets you create virtual disks with pre-allocation. You also get the Virtual Network Editor. After the eval period expires, you won't be able to run a VM from the Workstation Pro UI but the VM can still run on VMware Player (Player is also installed in the eval). You can still continue to create new VMs and edit VM settings using the Workstation Pro UI.

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Does your particular version of Windows 10 support more than 2 cores?

It might be that the VM hardware is configured correctly but the OS is not capable of recognising the hardware.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Schmiddt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much! Editing the VMX worked perfectly. Setting both values to 6 gave me a single CPU with 6 Cores, exactly what I needed.

Have a good day!

0 Kudos