VMware Communities
wiwen
Contributor
Contributor

Copying VMware folder from a laptop to another

Hello guys,

Thanks for concerning my question here,
I have a VMware setup in my old laptop, wanted to copy it to my new laptop.
I remember when I copied the folders from old laptop, some of the .vmdk files was not able to be copied for whatever errors I don't remember.

I use the remains files in new laptop anyhow, when I run the VMWare, the below error shows:

wiwen_0-1661917270457.png
I checked some articles in this communities, I think maybe it's because of missing files(those that cannot be copied from my old laptop), since vmdk files I have is inconsistent:

wiwen_1-1661917468358.png
I remember when I paste the backup folders and run the VMware player in new laptop some message asking "I copied it" or "I moved it", no matter which one I choose, the system eventually runs to the error message I shown in the beginning.

I'm not 100% sure if it's because of those missing .vmdk files, so I attached the .log file,
could you please help to check & suggest how I should solve the problem?

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm not sure why you didn't resolve the issues copying from your old laptop before moving onto the next stage, resolve this first, after all why make extra work for yourself.  

I have a number of questions/suggestions:

- I assume that it all worked on the 'old' laptop ?

- how did you copy the files on your old laptop, desktop UI or command, and with what account permissions ?

- did you copy all of the VM's or just selective ones ?

- go back to the old laptop and copy again, with VMware powered off, but this time note and resolve the error message/s ?

- the Win 7 VM in question, was it a clone of another VM ?

0 Kudos
wiwen
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 
Thanks for the comments.
Actually I tired to re-copy the files from old laptop unfortunately the hard disk on my old laptop was crashed, I cannot do anything more at old laptop.

I recall that when I copied the files, some error shows that some of the .vmdk files were corrupt.
Regarding to your questions:

1 Yes, it was working in my old laptop.

2 I simply copied the folder contains the files (attachment) to a external hard disk, then paste it directly in the same location at my new laptop (C drive), then I manually download the VMWare player software, then select "Open a virtual machine" 

3 Please see attachment which I assumed to be all it need to open it in another VMware player
4 Old laptop crashed...
5 I think so.. it was copied to my old laptop, but I'm not able to reach out to the people who provided me those files, so I had to try to fix it myself...

0 Kudos
wiwen
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, I would like to know if the problems is because of inconsistent .vmdk files.

If it does, and if there is no any possible solutions than getting those .vmdk files from outside again, I will try... 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The "...-s0xx.vmdk" files make up the VM's virtual disk. All of these files are required.

André

0 Kudos