VMware Communities
xdzgor
Contributor
Contributor

Copy paste text problem

Hi, I am using VM Player 1.0.3 build-34682, running windows XP professional.

I experience a problem copy and pasting text from one document to another quite often. I have seen other references to "copy/paste" problems on these forums, but not a solution.

The symptoms I see are that I highlight and "copy" text, yet when I "paste" the actual text which is pasted is something I have previously copied and pasted (maybe from 4 or 5 copy/pastes ago even).

How can I fix this?

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
5 Replies
xdzgor
Contributor
Contributor

Is there no solution to this copy/paste problem? Is there anyone else that actually experiences problems with copying and pasting text?

0 Kudos
MBL_Antony
Contributor
Contributor

We have 6 users of VMware Workstation, and all report problems with copy/paste. We run a team comprising Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP client on a Windows XP host. The copy/paste is erratic between all 3 environments. The most reliable seems to be Ctrl-C / Ctrl-V, and the problem is definitely worse when using right-click to copy/paste.

Like yourself, we are keen to see a solution to this problem as we are often using copy/paste between VMs.

0 Kudos
samu
Contributor
Contributor

Some of our users here are facing the same problem. Player Version 2.0.0 build-45731, Vmware-toolbox Version 45731 running ("Guest: toolbox: Version: build-45731" entries in the log).

In the logfile, I see the following messages wrt Copy&Paste:

vmx| DnD rpc already set to 1

vmx| DnD CopyPasteRegisterRpc already set to 1

vcpu-0| GuestRpc: Channel 1, registration number 4, guest application toolbox.

vcpu-0| GuestRpc: Channel 2, registration number 2, guest application toolbox-ui.

vcpu-0| GuestRpc: Channel 2, Timeout

vcpu-0| GuestMsg: Channel 2, Cannot unpost because the previous post is already completed

vcpu-0| GuestRpc: Channel 2 reinitialized.

vcpu-0| GuestRpc: Channel 3, registration number 1, guest application toolbox-ui.

vcpu-0| GuestRpc: Channel 1, registration number 4, guest application toolbox.

vcpu-0| GuestRpc: Channel 2, registration number 2, guest application toolbox-ui.

vcpu-0| GuestRpc: Channel 2, Timeout

vcpu-0| GuestMsg: Channel 2, Cannot unpost because the previous post is already completed

vcpu-0| GuestRpc: Channel 2 reinitialized.

vcpu-0| GuestRpc: Channel 3, registration number 1, guest application toolbox-ui.

... and so on.

Can someone of the Vmware folks please tell if that messages are related to the nonfunction Copy&Paste problem and, if so, providea fix or a workaround.

It's not only affecting the Vmware player here, but also the Vmware workstation we have paid for.

0 Kudos
chtuc
Contributor
Contributor

In operation, a lot depends on WHEN the last "copy" operation done.

If it was done just before the focus (the cursor) is switched to the host or

another player, then the data will have been transferred automatically to

the host or player. If you spent time doing something else before the switch

of focus, then the data will NOT be transferred. You then have a situation

of clipboards which are out-of-sync and which cause the symptoms you describe.

0 Kudos
ehlers
Contributor
Contributor

I still experience this problem periodically when copying and pasting text inside the guest on VMware workstation. Sometimes the clipboard does not pickup the new entry, and when I try to paste, the previous item is pasted. It has nothing to do with the host since I am not trying to copy and paste between guest and host. However it often works if I press ctrl-c several times, but it is really annoying since I do a lot of programming inside my guest OS in Visual Studio. It has nothing to do with computer being busy.

I Have experienced this problem since Workstation ver 5.5.

I currently use Workstation ver 6.5.2 build 156735. Guest OS is Windows 2008 standard 32 bit, and Host Os is Windows XP SP2. The problem is also present when using Wndows XP as Guest OS.

My hardware is a Lenovo Thinkpad T61p with 4 GB Ram.

0 Kudos