VMware Communities
Skunkworx74
Contributor
Contributor

Convert an existsing XP mode installation with vmware

Is it possible to convert an existsing XP mode installation into VMWare player 4.0?

I have been using XP mode that came with my windows 7 for quite a while but wanted to move it over to VMware player for performance reasons.  I have done quite a bit of setup and installation of software over the time on the and realy would like to avoid having to reinstall everything from scratch.

I tried the "Import Windows XP Mode VM" option from the file menu but that created a brand new VM without any of my software installed.

I have also tried to use "vCenter Converter Standalone" to convert the VM but the converted VM instisted that I reactivate windows.  I tried the key in the xp mode directory I also tried a fully fledged XP key but both failed to reactivet it.

Any suggestions would be appeciated.

Regards

Neil

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Psiegmann
Contributor
Contributor

Add xpmode.enable="TRUE" to the .vmx file of your virtual machine.

More: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/251082

0 Kudos
Skunkworx74
Contributor
Contributor

I have added that line to the vmx file but when I try to logonto to the vm it is still asking for activation.  I tryed the key from the xp mode directory again but it still won't allow me to activate.

I also read the whole thread of the link you posted but that didn't really help either.

0 Kudos
Skunkworx74
Contributor
Contributor

I reread that link you posted and changed the entry in the vmx to:

xpmode.enabled = TRUE

Now the VM seems to be working.

0 Kudos
tbeek
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem.

I used the vCenter Converter Standalone Client v5 to convert the Windows XPmode to a VMware Player v4.

I tried to convert the .vmc file across a network connected PC,

and I tried loading Converter directly into the XPmode OS and then did powered on machine...

Every time when I tried to play the converted virtual machine in VMPlayer, after I logged in to WindowsXP it would force me to activate windows before letting me do anything.

I tried the WinXP key in the folder with the XPmode, I tried the Win7 key of the host machine, I tried a valid WinXP key, nothing worked.

Thank you Skunkworx74 for noticing the missing letter D.  Now it works!

The correct entry is xpmode.enabled= "true"

0 Kudos
Tyomni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Or You can simply crack xp with knowen programs. ("I didn't say this")

VM or Not to VM...?

That is the question!

0 Kudos
girad_m_j
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is an old topic, but I wrote up detailed instructions on the whole converting using VMware COnverter and re-activating after.  There's a couple steps after the conversion that need to be done before activation will work...

http://michaeljgirard.com/index.php/230/

0 Kudos