VMware Communities
chuck4100
Contributor
Contributor

Connect guest machine directly to modem and to LAN via dual NIC?

I have very little experience with VMs and networking but I feel like this should be possible but have no idea what I'm doing so thought I'd ask for some help or opinions.

I have a normal PC running windows 10 that I use as a home server (Plex, backups, Webserver, game servers, etc...) with VMware Player (free version).

The system currently has 3 Network adapters, an onboard NIC and a dual port NIC in PCI slot.

I also have the netgear CM1200 modem with 4 ports.

My desire is to connect a VM running on the system to my LAN and a separate direct connection to the internet via the PCI NIC.

Really, I want one NIC for the HOST only, One for guest LAN only and 3rd for guest internet only.

I managed the host and guest effectively using their own NIC to LAN but if I add the direct connection to the modem in anyway it seems to prevent all connectivity to the VM.

Some things,

Seeing as I didn't build the system for this, pretty sure I don't have the ability to do PCI passthough.

With the direct to modem connection added to VM, ipconfig shows irregular IPs (subnetmask 255.255.0.0) and no gateway.

ipconfig on host shows a proper connection on the direct to modem line.

Thanks for any ideas!

P.S. A recommendation to more appropriate forums is also welcome.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
oligarch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just to clarify.....when you say PCI, are you referring to a legacy PCI slot (white) or to a standard PCIe slot (black)?

0 Kudos
chuck4100
Contributor
Contributor

PCI express. currently a x1 to be more exact.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What I think that should meet your requirements is to create a dedicated "Bridged" virtual network adapter that's bound to the "Intenet"-NIC.

However, the Virtual Network Editor that allows you to configure this is only available in VMware Workstation Pro, which you can evaluate for 30 days.

Configuring a Bridged network adapter with a dedicated NIC requires that other Bridged network adapters also use dedictaed NICs (no automatic assignment), i.e. a physical NIC can be assigned to one Bridged network only.

André

0 Kudos
chuck4100
Contributor
Contributor

i was guessing the pro version might be capable. My main concern was using the Bridged option in in VMWare Player makes both NICs show as one bridged NIC in the VM so I don't know if I can do dedicated internet connection and a separate LAN connection.

MMyara
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I have the exact same goal as you. Any progress on that (setting bridged connection to appear individually on Windows guest OS)?

0 Kudos