VMware Communities
robmypro99
Contributor
Contributor

Configuring sub domains to point to separate virtual machines

Hey guys, I am pretty new to VMware and I am having trouble configuring my network. Any help would be greatly appreciated. First, let me explain my setup:

I have 3 sub domains on a hosted server:

subdomain1.domain.com

subdomain2.domain.com

subdomain3.domain.com

All three sub domains point to the same public IP address, which is the Windows 2003 Server I have at home. This is a static IP address.

On my home network I am running 3 vm's (all on CentOS), each of which i want to access using the subdomains above.

The IP addresses for each vm are:

So here's my question. How do I configure VM or my network so that when the user types in subdomain1.domain.com it goes to the vm instance running on 192.168.0.211, while typing in subdomain2.domain.com it goes to the vm instance running on 192.168.0.212? Right now regardless of the subdomain I select all 3 go to the same instance (192.168.0.211).

I also want to add that I can access all 3 vm's internally using the 192.168.x.x address and it works fine. It is just an issue for people accessing the instances outside my network.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks guys!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Well you've hardly provided the complete picture however checking the other thread you started filled in some of the missing information and assuming the VM's are still using Bridged for the Network Adapters then this really is not a VMware Player issue per se and is really a Network Administration issue.  You need to configure your Router to direct traffic to the correct destination and when the VM's are Peers on the Host's Physical LAN (in other words using Bridged Network Adapters) this really has nothing to do with VMware Player per se.  On the other hand, and assuming the VM's already have basic Internet/Network Connectivity, then if the VM's were using NAT Network Adapters then this becomes a VMware Player issue only to the extent of configuring Port Forwarding in the Virtual Network Editor and anything remaining comes down again to a Network Administration issue and or the Host Software you're using to Route any incoming traffic through the Host other then Port Forwarding in the Virtual Network Editor.

In other words if whatever your trying to access on the VM's is properly configured and the VM's themselves have basic Internet/Network Connectivity, then with the exception of Port Forwarding if using NAT (VMnet8) as an example and or disabling Automatic Bridging on VMnet0 in the Virtual Network Editor which you've already done then the rest has really has nothing to do with VMware Player per se and the VM's can be treated just like any other Physical Machine on a Network.

I'd start with the documentation for the Router you're using to see what capabilities it provides and then also whatever the DDNS Service (No_IP) you're using provides and go from there.  Bottom line is you need to learn how to properly administer the Network you created and this is more appropriately covered in other sites more centric to network administration issues then here.

robmypro99
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help Woody. Based on your help I was able to get things pretty close. I believe what is left related purely to my network and router configuration. Working on it.

Thanks again for the reply.

0 Kudos