VMware Communities
kgrice
Contributor
Contributor

Configuration file?

I've installed VMWare Player 1.0.3. It ask for a configuration file. I'd like to view a virtual machine from my ESX server so I know I need to direct the search to a .vmx file. My question(s) is....is there a way to map a drive to the location on my ESX server of the configuration file for my virtual machine? or must I copy the .vmx file from the ESX server to a Windows folder for my PC to see (i.e. via WinSCP3)? If the latter, must I continue to copy the .vmx file to the Windows folder after each time I make changes (i.e. software installs) to the virtual machine through my normal remote sessions such as the console in Virtual Center?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Player is definitely NOT the product you need in this case. Player exists to run virtual machines on that host, or possibly on a network share (but there are other issues in those cases). If you have an ESX Server running virtual machines already, then just use the remote console to connect to those machines.

If you want a COPY of the guest currently running on an ESX Server, then you will need to (1) export the virtual disk using vmkfstools, then SCP the disk to your Windows PC; (2) create a new virtual machine and use the existing disk {due to lots of configuration differences in the vmx files between ESX and the hosted products). Your other option may be to use the VMware Converter 3 to convert your ESX version to a hosted version.

0 Kudos
kgrice
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

So just to clarify things. I have a few members within my IT staff whom which I have created a few ESX 2.5.3 virtual machines for them. They are better off accessing these virtual machines using some other remote control software or maybe even via Virtual Center (1.4.1) client on their desktops?........and there is no better advantage in using VMWare Player to run/view/access virtual machines created from ESX 2.5.3?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

As far as I know, there is no way for VMPlayer (or your host for that matter) to be able to see the ESX-hosted virtual machines. They are on a file system which your network doesn't understand, and therefore cannot see.

0 Kudos