VMware Communities
GlenTaylor
Contributor
Contributor

Cloning a workstation

I'm a VM virgin. I've read some of the overview documentation, but I'm not getting a clear picture of how this would work for me.

What I want to do, is clone an existing workstation software development environment (OS, tools and data on physical drive partitions C and D) and duplicate it on the same hardware, but have it access a different branch of our CVS source code control system. So version X and version Y would coexist on the same box, using the same installed software, but with different projects and source code.

What VMWare tools would I use to do that? And what are the licensing implications for the OS and the other installed software (would we have to buy new licenses for WinXP etc.etc.?).

0 Kudos
8 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - If a inwodws/Linux environment  I would use either VMware Playe or Workstation - and convert the physical machine to a virtual machine - now you would be able to use the VM as well as you physical workstation - the major difference between PLayer and workstation is that Player is free - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
GlenTaylor
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I was attracted to post this on the Player forum because of the lack of cost. And I understand that there is another freeware tool for converting. But the issues include the fact that I have two physical drive partitions (C and data on drive D) that I want to clone - is that possible? And what about licensing of the existing software on the workstation? Does Windows and other software programs know that they have been cloned?

I am hesitant to experiment with this on the source workstation, because I don't want to mess it up. I really don't know anything about virtual machines, aside from having created an MS XP partition on my Win7 machine (which was a fair bit of work, and does not really work all that well).

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

VMware vCenter Converter Standalone can do what you want however you need to comply with EULA's so generally speaking you need to have additional licenses for everything you copy from P2V where applicable.  In other words if you P2V and Retail Windows OS install that's running, as an example, Adobe Photoshop you need to have 2 licenses for each, one license for the physical install and another for the virtual install, etc.

GlenTaylor
Contributor
Contributor

OK, that's what I thought.

So, assuming that the virtual machine lives on the physical computer's drive C, then it would need sufficient space to store all of what is currently on drive C plus the overhead of the Player. If my data lives on drive D and I also want to clone that, then I would also need sufficient space on drive C for it also.

Can you have more than one partition on the virtual machine?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Each physical hard drive/volume/partition will be cloned to separate virtual hard disk.  Generally speaking, although not carved in stone, it is a good practice to keep all files that comprise the Virtual Machine in the same folder although depending on how much free space you have on the Physical Volumes you can and have the Virtual C: Hard Disk stored on Physical C: and the Virtual 😧 Hard Disk stored on Physical 😧 if that is necessary due to free space constraints.

Can you have more than one partition on the virtual machine?

Yes a Virtual Hard Disk can have multiple partitions and you can have multiple Virtual Hard Disks assigned to the Virtual Machine.

GlenTaylor
Contributor
Contributor

Rather than clone the entire machine, can I have two virtual drive D data partitions that are alternatively visible to the physical drive C and all of its software? In other words, two or more drive Ds. Would these vitrual drive Ds be visible to peers on a peer-to-peer network?

How difficult is it to roll back a virtual machine once it is created?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

From what you just said, if I understand correctly what you're saying/trying to say then you don't even need a Virtual Machine.  If you want a separate Data Store just add a virtual hard disk under Windows 7 in Disk Management.

How difficult is it to roll back a virtual machine once it is created?

Not sure what you mean by that other then to say if you no longer want the Virtual Machine, just delete it. Smiley Wink

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - Originally posted : Jul 10, 2012 5:46 PM

0 Kudos
GlenTaylor
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I think you are right, WoodyZ. I may be able to get away without a VM. The development apps may get a bit confused about previously opened project files if the two drives diverge, but maybe that's not such a big issue.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos