VMware Communities
vmware4dje
Contributor
Contributor

Change location of Components?? (Tools for all the diff OS, etc)

I have small SSD to boot Win7 from which was great. How do I move the location of existing files of Components already downloaded...these tools have totally filled up my C-drive :smileycry: ...it's only the Win2k tools that I don't have room for on C. So I NEED to have them moved to D!
These Components (tools) must be on my C-drive now as it totally filled my C. Not exactly sure where they are located yet on C.

Now D have _lots_ of space.

Basically I want to change the default location of the Players location of these Components (VMware Tools).

Can I copy them to new location on D and then change something in the Registry?? If yes, where do I need to change it? one place or several places?

Help much appreciated w this issue.

Message was edited by: vmware4dje BTW...Im running VMware Player 7.1.0 build-2496824 on Win7 Ultimate 64-bit.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Not exactly sure on the location of these files, would have to go boot a Windows machine for that here.

What I would do in your case is install WindirStat and run that to see where most diskspace has gone to.

If those files are as big as you say they would easily stand out.

IIRC they are only a few hundred MB, so would expect that you lost the space somewhere in temporary files.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
vmware4dje
Contributor
Contributor

Oki, you must have been right as I can't really figure out where it saves these files...but I still wonder if its possible to move them to...like my D. Unfortunately the SSD only has about 4Gb left...so anything that can help by moving stuff to my D is good. If anyone knows where it stores the files...drop me a note...if i find them I'll just leave a note w the info for others to see Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

This time I had a windows box booted when I saw your reply and in my case the windows.iso is located in:

D:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\windows.iso

That's because I installed VMware Workstation itself on 😧 Smiley Happy

So yes you can have the vmware tools iso images installed in a different location, but that's going to be the same location as VMware itself.

PS: I know I am talking about Workstation, but player is most likely identical in this particular case.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos