VMware Communities
alansecker
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot open XP guest transferred to new machine

I have recently installed Mageia 1.0 on a new drive and moved all my data over to it. I installed VMware Player 4.0.0 build-471780 and tried to open the XP guest copied over with the data. I made sure all the permissions were correct before I tried to start it up. When I did I was disappointed to see an error dialog per the attachment. Is there a way out?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I guess you are aware that Mageia is not a supported host OS for VMware Player!? Please provide/attach the vmware.log which is mentioned in the error message you got. In addition to this I'd recommend you open a discussion/support request at https://forums.mageia.org/en/index.php to find out whether there's an issue with the OpenGL driver.

André

0 Kudos
alansecker
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply, I have repeated my issue on the Mageia forum with added detail. Attached is the vmware.log file

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'd suggest you add the following error details to the post you created on the Mageia forum.

2011-10-30T13:38:47Z[+0.002]| mks| W110: VMGL Panic: *** Caught signal 11 in glXChooseFBConfig() ***
2011-10-30T13:38:47Z[+0.002]| mks| W110: VMGL Panic: Fault occurred at 7F7FBD2F544E (glXGetFBConfigs + 46, in /usr/lib64/fglrx/libGL.so.1)
2011-10-30T13:38:47Z[+0.002]| mks| W110: VMGL Panic: Call site at 85EA14 ((null) + 8776212, in /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx)
2011-10-30T13:38:47Z[+0.002]| mks| I120: Panic: dropping lock (was bug 49968)
2011-10-30T13:38:47Z[+0.002]| mks| I120: A serious error has occurred inside the computer's OpenGL graphics drivers.

I'm no Linux expert, but searching the internet for the segmentation fault (signal 11) returns a couple of results pointing to driver issues.

Good luck.

André

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

are you able to start the VM if you disable 3d support ?

0 Kudos
alansecker
Contributor
Contributor

I assume you mean 3d accesleration in Vmware player. If so, the answer is No, it makes no difference.

0 Kudos
alansecker
Contributor
Contributor

I will do just that. Thank you.

0 Kudos
alansecker
Contributor
Contributor

By installing the ATi proprietory driver I was able to execute the XP guest.

The bad news is that I now have no sound.

I've given up on  Mageia fo now and gone back to PCLinuxOS even though it is only a test version!

0 Kudos