VMware Communities
SandBoy
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot make a copy of Windows XP Mode.vmdk

When I try to make a backup copy of my XP Mode VM using the copy command in Windows 7 Explorer I get  a File I/O error 0x8007045D when copying  'Windows XP Mode.vmdk'.  I have tried doing the copy in Safe Mode to no avail 

The file does not appear to be corrupted as I can log in to the the VM and work with it OK  Just cant copy it

Any Ideas on how to fix this

Thanks  Mike

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Assuming the Virtual Machine is shutdown then not being able to copy a file under a Windows Host is not a VMware issue per se, it's a Windows issue! Smiley Wink

The fact that you cannot copy the file, even while while in Safe Mode, could be due to a corrupted Filesystem, have you run chkdsk /f or the block storage device has bad sectors and or is failing.

0 Kudos
SandBoy
Contributor
Contributor

CHKDSK reports no errors.  I was aware that this was not a VMWare issue Its just that this error message seems to be fairly common and sometimes another process could be causing the problem although it seems that is not the case here..  This is turning out to be a big hassle as as my older VM backups are not up to date as regards security updates and  Windows Update does not now work since April 8th  So what happens if I need to reinstall XP?

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Is the block storage device a Rotational HDD or an SSD?  If a Rotational HDD have you run the manufactures HDD Diagnostics to see if there are an bad spots?

If there are any bad spots there is always the chance that there may not actually be anything critical stored in the virtual hard disk's filesystem at that location and you could use VMware vCenter Converter Standalone installed in the Guest OS of the Windows Virtual Machine to create a new Virtual Machine from within.

You could also boot the Host with a Linux Live CD/DVD and try copying the file and if it errors out try using ddrescue to copy the file.

0 Kudos
SandBoy
Contributor
Contributor

I did a backup using Macrium Reflect and then restored it again.  Macrium reported all OK and I could copy the VM using Windows explorer without error  messages.  However when I tried to open it with Player I got a message that the IDE Disc had errors and I could not proceed  I also restored a Macrium backup from around a month ago and although all reported as OK I got the exact same message again.  This is very concerning as it appears that I am backing up garbage but without any indication that there is a problem with the VM  as it opens and runs without issues   The problem only surfaces when I try to either copy it or restore a backup  If I had a disc crash I would be stuffed  Fortunately I think I can extract enough from the current  version to give me what i need to build a new VM

Mike

0 Kudos