VMware Communities
urbaindepuce
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot install Windows 8 evaluation (error booting from installation image)

Hello,

I have problems installing Windows 8 evaluation. When starting the virtual machine I cannot boot from the Windows 8 installation image to start the installation process. I always get this error message:

error.png

I am using a Windows 8 x64 image downloaded from there: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj554510.aspx. The VMware Player version is 5.0.0 build-812388.

How can I solve this problem?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

this error occurs, because Windows 8 requires the "Execute Disable Bit" to be enabled. In order for VMware Player to pass this BIOS setting to the VM, it has to be enabled in the physical system's BIOS. Make sure you power cycle your system after changing this setting in the BIOS, a simple reboot might not be sufficient!

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

this error occurs, because Windows 8 requires the "Execute Disable Bit" to be enabled. In order for VMware Player to pass this BIOS setting to the VM, it has to be enabled in the physical system's BIOS. Make sure you power cycle your system after changing this setting in the BIOS, a simple reboot might not be sufficient!

André

0 Kudos
urbaindepuce
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, that did the trick.

0 Kudos