VMware Communities
siglr
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot install VMPlayer 3.1.4 on Windows 7 - Keeps asking to restart

Hello

I am trying to install VMPlayer 3.1.4 (I also tried 3.1.3 before) on my Windows 7 64 bits laptop and it just doesn't work. The setup program keeps asking me to restart Windows and when I do, after the restart, setup starts again and then keeps asking me to restart...

What is the problem? Please help!!!

Thanks

Guy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
gszoniec
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've installed VMware Player several times on Win 7

and everything was OK after first restart.

Are you sure that you have download

appriopriate version of Player i.e. for 64bit architecture?

Do you have final version of Win 7, I had some problems

with Win 7 beta free trial.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

There is only one VMware Player 3.x installer for Windows and it contains both 32-bit and 64-bit so your question is irrelevant.

The Windows 7 Betas all have expired and the RC expired June 1, 2010 so again irrelevant.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

check the registry key HKLM\Software\...\VMware Inc

it has a key named "needs reboot" or similar - sorry dont have the correct name at the moment but you will find it.
Delete that key - it has a note why VMplayer thinks a reboot is necessary.
Sometimes this key does not get removed

0 Kudos
gszoniec
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

WoodyZ wrote:

There is only one VMware Player 3.x installer for Windows and it contains both 32-bit and 64-bit so your question is irrelevant.

The Windows 7 Betas all have expired and the RC expired June 1, 2010 so again irrelevant.

Ok, my mistake, I'm linux user, there is only one version for windows both 32&64bit.

About windows beta & trials (I ommited ampersand sign), You can still download Win 7 Enterprise

90-days trial and with that version as host I experienced some problems with accessibility to Player's settings

file which made Player unable to use. Someone has already answer that question suggested that key

in registry should be removed, so it still looks like problem with security/accessibility on windows.

Moreover I read about similar problem on windows fora, it occurs when vmdk/vmx files are stored on another partition.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

About windows beta & trials (I ommited ampersand sign), You can still download Win 7 Enterprise 90-days trial

In context that's not a small typo however note that the Windows 7 Enterprise 90-day Trial is the full working version and is the final version of the product at that time meaning with the exception of steps taken to embed the Product Key and conform to its trial status it is functionally the same as what you receive to use in an Enterprise and would not necessarily cause any different issues with installing software as opposed to the non trial distribution and therefore still irrelevant.  (That is after all one of the primary purposes of utilizing the trial before committing to purchasing that version of Windows in the Enterprise.)

That said the VMware Player 3.x and VMware Workstation 7.x products are know to have major installation issues and the problems are more a result of issues related to the product themselves then the Host OS and VMware has been made aware of this by direct conversations much less the number of posts in the forums in regard to installations issues with theses products.

The best thing one can do aside from first validating the MD5 and or SHA1 checksums and installing as an Administrator and employing industry standard best practices and common sense when install software is to follow the proven recommendations that have been discussed in these forums and at continuum's website if all else fails.

0 Kudos