VMware Communities
TonyJG
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot connect to VMware Player from the internet (OK on LAN)

Have set up a VM running Windows 7. I can remote desktop to it from the host computer or another computer on my wireless LAN at home. But from outside the LAN I cannot get access via RDP nor ping to it.

I suspect this has nothing to do with VMPlayer itself and some setting on the host computer to allow someone outside the LAN to access the computer? Am I correct?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - you are correct - first spot I owul check is the Windows Firewall -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
TonyJG
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. It wasn't the firewall. After doing a lot of web searches, I gave up trying to get remote desktop to work, but managed to get VNC to work. This required mapping ports on my router and on the VM player itself.

Not sure why I couldn't get remote desktop to work, but at least I can get in with VNC...

Its actually not that easy to follow how to do this, especially if your host computer is on a router. It would be good to have a knowledgebase here on how to do it, because I found the VNC FAQ much easier to understand and it did cover this use case of the host is on a router...

Tony

0 Kudos
Shark0n
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, TonyJG!
I'm trying to access my guest bridged machine from LAN. But I cannot. How did you do that?ne

HOST machine

Windows 10
ethernet 192.168.0.10

GUEST machine
bridged 192.168.0.30
nat (for internet access)

hosted-only (for putty-ssh control)

another REAL machine

The matter, I can ping REAL machine from GUEST, but not backward...

0 Kudos