SamB123
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot connect the virtual device sata0:1

Cannot connect the virtual device sata0:1 because no corresponding device is available on the host.  The error pops up when I enable the host/guest share and map the drive.

I tried to delete and then add back the the sata drive to VM Player- but it did not help. I have installed VMware Tools.

And the enable/disable share functionality has got disbaled - I can not edit/undo it. (but the share is still enabled)

I am using VM Player 12.5.5 on Win10 Pro Host, and Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop.

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
bluefirestorm
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It seems like you are trying two different things at the same time:

The words "enable the host/guest share and map the drive" suggests you are trying to use the shared drive feature.

The words "add back the SATA drive to VM Player" suggests you added a physical drive to the VM configuration.

So is the disk that you added in the same drive that you wanted to share?

Suggest that you try only one of them.

0 Kudos
SamB123
Contributor
Contributor

@bluefirestorm

1. I enabled and added a shared folder (not a drive) from my Windows10 host. This did not work and I am getting the stated error.

I tried deleting and adding back the folder - I undid and redid but continue to get the same error.

VMPlayer-2.png

2. Now I cannot even disable/delete the share - the whole enabling/disabling option has got grayed out. But the share continues to be enabled as I can see.

VMPlayer-Share.png

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The title "Cannot connect the virtual device sata0:1" looks like has nothing to do with the shared folder problem you have.

Looking at your VM configuration screenshot, you have 2 SATA devices. CD/DVD is set to Autoconnect. Chances are sata0:1 is the virtual CD/DVD. You might have set to this to "Connect on Power On" and there is no CD/DVD drive present in your host computer.

Let resolve the problem of "Cannot connect the virtual device sata0:1" first.

As to the shared settings disabled, I seem to be able to see it disabled when the VM was booting up. Otherwise when it is up and running or shut down, it is editable.

0 Kudos
SamB123
Contributor
Contributor

1. I do not have any CD/DVD on my system

2. The title is correct - that is the error I get when I try start the VM.

3. The screen shots I have provided are of my VM when Not running.

4. I have another VM (in the same Player), I get the same error. But in this VM my share enable/disable is enabled - when I disable the share the error goes away.

Last but not the least:

1. My share actually works fine- so that is not an issue.

2. Also when the error pops up- there is an option - 'Do not Try connect next time' - saying yes - next time when I start the error does not show up. But instead I get new message (not a error popup) - 'Printing is globally disabled... sata01....'

3. Now the share option disabled has disappeared - I can enable/disable share now. Only change I have made is 'Do not Try connect next time'. So whatever happened here.

0 Kudos
SamB123
Contributor
Contributor

I have some more errors on the Player-

Failed to initialize cpu- don't know what it means-

VM-err.png

Also it keeps asking me to update Vm Tools - have updated them already?

0 Kudos
efloriot
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I had the same issue with laptop without CDROM I just change to IDE virtual CD-ROM instead of SATA.

pastedImage_0.png

Never stop discovering. Eric Floriot
0 Kudos
N3mesis
Contributor
Contributor

...Same problem

Solution:

removed cd-rom from the device list

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Eduard76
Contributor
Contributor

A CD is needed when you installing Virtual tool. Then you have to add the device.

You may add it for reading a fisical CD also. And also you may need to connect an Iso.

If you need no any of three then delete the device.

0 Kudos
joshuanmoses
Contributor
Contributor

Having the same issue.  Tried all of that, CD pops back in the configuration after restart.

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I cannot see the relevant screens above.

Have you really UNCHECKED both: a) Connect at boot, b) Connected (now) ? You can also select an iso-file as a source, not the physical device.

0 Kudos