VMware Communities
mateid
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot change real partition table

Hi,

I'm using VMPlayer 5 on Windows 7 Pro host with various Linux guests, all 64bit. I have a problem with raw disk access: whenever I try to repartition the physical disk, I remove the HardDisk entries from the VM, but when I try to add them back (to get the new geometry) with "using partitions" access, I get an empty partition list.

More details:

I currently use only 1 VM that has raw disk access. It was created as a Workstation 8.0 VM. I set the raw disk access mode to "using partitions" and selected 3 of those. The VM also uses a small virtual hard drive of 500MB, which I only use to boot from, using grub in its MBR. I have 2 other VMs using only virtual drives. In the past, I had a few other VMs using raw disks, but I don't use them any more, and I removed them from the "Virtual Machines" folder. (Can they still affect things??)

After powering off the VM and and Win7, I booted off a live usb. I used gparted to edit the partition table of my hard disk, then fdisk to fix the order of partitions. Booting back into Win7, when I first selected the raw disk VM, it gave me some error messge. I expected this because the raw disks changed. In settings, I went on to remove the raw disks from the VM. Then I clicked add Hard Disk, raw, using partitions, and the partition table is empty.

For now I was able to reverse the process (boot off live usb, remove the new partition, expand the old one where it used to be, boot back into Win7) and now the VM works again.

But how can I get VMPlayer to read the new partition table? Can the old VMs affect things? Maybe some stale file left somewhere under "Program Files/VMare"? Should I consider removing and reinstalling VM Player itself?

Thanks!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

When ever you change the MBR of a physical disk you will have to readd it as WS detects that the MBR has changed - so that is expected.

But what you see is unexpected.

Old VMs are innocent - they should have no influence at all.
Maybe you need to reboot your host so that WS reads the disks again ? - or at least try to restart WS completely - including the vmmon.
You do not use GPT -disks - dont you ?

0 Kudos