VMware Communities
Charley123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't rename or delete a VM.

Somehow I ended up with an unwanted duplicate VM showing in Player 15 library. I can't delete or rename it. I can't do anything with it.

In desperation, I used Windows Explorer to manually delete that VM's folder/files, but that didn't solve my problem because it still shows within the Player library.

Then I uninstalled VMWare Player 15, rebooted, then reinstalled it, but that did no good. It's maddening.

Then I went online and searched this forum, and I found a very old thread from 2011 where someone had same or similar problem. They were told to look/search in any VMWare log where they would find the path to preferences.ini. Inside preferences.ini they should delete all references to the offending VM. That worked for the fellow who posted that support request, but it didn't work for me..

I did find the log files. I searched them for path to preferences.ini but there was no mention of preferences.ini in the log files.

I am at a loss for how to proceed.

How can I remove the offending VM from the Player library?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

In a DOS prompt (command prompt if you like) type the following:

echo %APPDATA%\VMware

and it should tell you the location of the preferences.ini file.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

Look at this kb:

VMWare Player won't delete VM from library/Where is the library stored?

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
Charley123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As I said in my OP, the advice in the link you provided does not work for me because when I tried to follow that advice, the preferences.ini file path was not found in any of my VMWare log files.

How do I find the preferences.ini file? The instructions at that link do not work. The instructions at that link are 9 years old, and may not apply to current version of Player.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

In a DOS prompt (command prompt if you like) type the following:

echo %APPDATA%\VMware

and it should tell you the location of the preferences.ini file.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Charley123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked for finding the preferences.ini and from there it was easy to delete the VM I wanted gone.

0 Kudos