VMware Communities
dwiedmer
Contributor
Contributor

Can't open VMs from NAS

Hi

I have VM Player 15.5.1 on a Windows 10 Enterprise Computer.

The computer is in the companys network.

I have a second local network that I access over an USB to ethernet adapter, this Network contains a NAS and other local Computers.

I can see and access all the files on the NAS when using the windows explorer.

One of the drives in this NAS contains my VMs.

I used to be able to open the VMs by double clicking the *.vmx file regardless of the storage destination.

Now I can only open the VMs like this if they are either stored on the internal HD, a USB HD or the company Network, but NOT from my NAS.

Until about 6 Months ago I could open the VMs on the NAS by typing the local IP Adress of the NAS folder into VM player when trying to open a VM.

Now the opening dialog of VM player can't find the location.

I can still open a VM that is on the NAS if it is in the "recent files" list, but not any other way.

Does someone know what I can do to get access to my NAS again?

(Company IT says two Networks are not supported, but for anything but VM plyer my two networks work just fine)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

HI,

Fammi capire, hai mappato sul tuo computer la cartella Nas che contiene le macchine virtuali?

In caso contrario, mappare la cartella e provare da quel percorso, con credenziali amministrative

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026635/windows-map-a-network-drive

• What version do you have of Windows 10 (1803,1903, 1909, etc ...)?
  • Have you made updates on the Nas firmware?
  • Have you made security updates on windows 10?

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
dwiedmer
Contributor
Contributor

The NAS is mapped with drive letter and all.

I can see the Folder in which I have the VMs from all Programs (Word, Excel, File Explorer, Total Commander ...) on the computer exept from VM Player.

The NAS software is up to date.

Windows is 1809

I have an other computer in the local network, I can access the VMs on the NAS from that computer and its VM player, no problem.

The problem is only on my Work PC.

I guess something (from my IT department...) is restricting the access inside the VM player to certain network folders.

0 Kudos
dwiedmer
Contributor
Contributor

I just realized, that I can't see any network drive in the vm player on the work computer.

My IT dept. must have restricted all netwotk access for VM player only.

I'll have to talk to them again, seems to be a problem of my IT dept, not of VM player.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Are you perhaps starting your vmware player with administrator rights?

If so then your VMware Player won't see the mapped drive, because mapped disks are tied to the current user.

That's just how windows works.

If you want to be able to use the mapped disk from within VMware Player then don't start it as admin.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos