VMware Communities
MrsBrooks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't install VMWareTools

Hi,

i'm using vmware workstation player on ubuntu 20.04 and a windows 7 guest. VMWare has already downloaded vmware tools but i can't install the tools. When windows is started "virtual machine -> install vmware tools" is not available. Its "grey" or "inactive". In the help there was the hint to run windows as admin but there is only one account on windows that was created while installation. In the account settings the account is marked as "admin". When i install application windows asks for admin rights and installs the apps. there is no special admin account.

How can i install the tools?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@MrsBrooks 

Try here: https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/downloads/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_tools...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MrsBrooks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found out that i have to enable the admin account in cmd.exe. After a restart and log on as admin i still can't start the installation.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@MrsBrooks 

What exactly did you try and do to install them in the first place?

What do you mean by this? "VMWare has already downloaded vmware tools"

The usual process for installing in Windows is to be logged in as an administrator then you choose the Install VMware Tools option from the VM menu. That mounts an ISO file to the VM CD drive which Windows then autoruns to begin the installer.

What do you see when you browse the VM CD drive in Windows? If you see VMware Tools installer files, you can start the installation manually from there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
MrsBrooks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When i started VMWare Player for the second time there was a popup window where i could start the download of vmware tools. The download finshed and nothing happens.

In the CD drive there is the windows-install iso. When i remove the image in settings there is no cd/image.

When i log on the admin account i still could not install vmware tools. The point in the menu is not available.

Where is the iso saved after downloading? can i mount it manually?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@MrsBrooks 

I think that's the right ISO, but aren't sure on the location on your host system - search for that file, connect and mound the drive inside Windows and you should be able to run the installer as long as you're logged into Windows with an admin account.

0 Kudos
MrsBrooks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have searched in the whole file system with

[code]find / -name "*.iso"[/code]

but there isn't an iso file. can i download it again or can i download the iso manually?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@MrsBrooks 

Try here: https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/downloads/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_tools...

0 Kudos