VMware Communities
re33335
Contributor
Contributor

Can't find Removable Device that is connected on Linux VMWare Workstation 16 Player

I have connected a removable drive to my Linux VM. I can see in the VM toolbar that it is connected. However, I can't find the drive in Linux. I have tried the commands from this post: https://askubuntu.com/questions/37767/how-to-access-a-usb-flash-drive-from-the-terminal .

Am I not looking in the right place? Are there additional steps I need to perform before I can find the drive?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

If the drive is visible in Ubuntu, you can use command "sudo fdisk -l" to verify. If it is there, you can use application disks (or perhaps something else) to actually mount it. If you don't have "disks", you can download&install it into *buntu derivates - a good and capable application - at least with current versions of Ubuntu.

I haven't connected USB devices directly to VMs, because I'm operating from Host to Guests. For that end, you can use Shared Folders within VMware or Network Drives with Ubuntu. Drag and drop seems to be broken with later Ubuntu/VMware combinations - that was the only thing I used until version 14 of Ubuntu. Perhaps Tools is required for Shared Folders.

Some say, that Tools need to be installed before direct USB-connect works, don't know, but you might want to check this matter. Since you kind of said that it is visible on VMware level-of-things, this might not be your case.

0 Kudos