VMware Communities
tonytc01
Contributor
Contributor

Can't connect via FTP from host to VM on vmPlayer

Bit of a newbie question here I'm afraid. I have set up a CentOS install on vmPlayer to test a web app.I'm working on. I would like to connect to the VM from my host pc (Windows 7) via FTP to upload the app to the web directory. For some reason I cannot connect to the VM with an FTP client. I created the VM with the default NAT connection type. When I run ipconfig on the host I can see three ethernet connections on the 192.168 address range created by vmPlayer. All of these IP's can be successfully pinged from the host. I have installed FTP on the VM and started the service but if I try to connect to the VM using any of the 3 IP addresses it flat out fails. Does anyone know if there is something glaringly obvious that I have done wrong/ missed out or maybe some good tutorial for this that I could read to find out more?

Many thanks,

Tony.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert

Hello,

You install CentOS (FTP and App server) on VM which is hosted on Your Windows 7 and adding NIC in NAT mode to it, am I right?

OK, first of all, those IP you see on your host (windows) when using ipconfig belongs to your physical NIC on Motherboard/Card and 2 Virtual NIC which created by VMware player (VMware product like workstation/server/player will create two virtual NIC in installation process). so you can't use their address to reach your FTP (it has its own address inside VM).

If you set any Address for your CentOS, What is it? (for more information about setting IP in the CentOS you can search for it in google)

Can you ping that address?

If you want only your host connect to VM (for now or totally) you can select Host-Only in vNIC config for VM

I did something like that with Windows on workstation (the concept and instruction is the same).

I made new VM

Add vNIC in bridge Mode (for example vmnet1)

Set the IP Address (for example 192.168.10.10 - its in range of vmnet1 on my host, host has 192.168.10.1 as vmnet1 address)

Ping the 192.168.10.10 -- is it successful?

OK, Add web to web server and go on ....

</div>

-= If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" =-

-= If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! =-

-= Thanks =-

MCTS, VCP

If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! Sohrab Kasraeianfard | http://www.kasraeian.com | @Kasraeian
tonytc01
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply, it was very helpful - I really appreciate it. I'm not yet sure exactly what the relationship between the host, vmPlayer and the virtual OS is in networking terms, I was confused - thinking that the virtual nic's created were equivalent to the physical nic of the guest OS. Clearly that is not the case, for my understanding could you advise me what the purpose of the two virtual nic's are? Alternatively if you could point me towards a good tutorial for people new to virtualisation I would be very grateful.

Again, many thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert

First of all, I hope this diagram help you a little. (sorry my drawing is not so good)

Second, about usage of different vNIC.

You have 3 kind of vNIC

1. Host only = use it when you want to connect your guest to your host ONLY and ONLY.

2. NAT = when you want to share the Host IP

3. Bridge = this will directly connect your guest vNIC to your Host pNIC.

When you installing VMware Player/fusion or workstation, setup will create to virtual Interface (vNIC) on host with the name of vmnet1 and vmnet8.

One for Host-Only usage and the other for NAT.

The bridge doesn't need any vNIC as it will connect directly to your Physical.

For more information about the Networking in Player and Workstation you can Use the Manual in the program.

Help\User Manual (in workstation7 it will point yu to this link)

</div>

I hope you find answer for some of your questions.

-= If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" =-

-= If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! =-

-= Thanks =-

MCTS, VCP

If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! Sohrab Kasraeianfard | http://www.kasraeian.com | @Kasraeian
0 Kudos