VMware Communities
dlee1964
Contributor
Contributor

Can't connect to host SQL Server when not wired to network

Hi all:

My host machine is Windows XP and my VM is also Windows XP on my corporate laptop. I can connect to my development SQL Server on the host from the VM successfully while plugged in at work (ie, hard-wired to my corporate network). Now, when I come home, I cannot access the SQL Server on the host from the VM. I am a rookie with VMWare and only somewhat aware of networking issues. Below, I've pasted the output of the ipconfig command. I can ping the 192.168.1.104 address, but neither of the others work (ie, they timeout). I suspect that I should be able to ping all three successfully for me to be able to see my SQL Server.

So, is there a setting I need to modify so I can see the SQL Server instance located on the host machine at all times (both when connected at work and when not connected)?

Thanks,

Del

-

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\hgglde>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet8:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.59.1

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet1:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.116.1

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter {4A3B7449-0038-4F8C-B09E-C859AA5AD4F3}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.104

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KYordy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

When at home, try changing the ethernet settings for the VM to either Host Only or NAT. That should allow you to connect.

Good Luck!

dlee1964
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response. That allowed me to ping, but I could still not access SQL Server. Perhaps a SQL Server issue. IAC, I installed an instance of SQL Server to the VM and I can see it from the host, so I suppose that is good enough.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
KYordy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Glad you were able to get it straightened out.

Regards!

0 Kudos
SAMSAMALL
Contributor
Contributor

I do the same thing but my host OS is windows 7 ultimate and guest OS is Windows XP Professional SP3. Now I can connect to SQL Server on Windows 7 from windows XP, but I cannot connect back from Windows 7 to Windows XP

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for the response. That allowed me to ping, but I could still not access SQL Server. Perhaps a SQL Server issue.

Whenever the IP address changes on the OS hosting SQL, you must restart the SQL services. However, I've also encountered where sometimes the SSQL Managment Studio will still fail and a full reboot of the machine hosting SQL is required.

0 Kudos