VMware Communities
nhiservices
Contributor
Contributor

Can't access VM from host machine via web or RDP

I have virtualised an existing physical machine using VMWare Converter Standalone Client (v4.0.1). The physical machine was running Windows 2003 Server and IIS6. The new VM runs fine under VMPlayer v3.0.1, on a workstation running XP SP2. What I want to do is connect remotely to a web site which is running in the VM, but the when I try to access this site from the host machine the request hangs. I have also tried connecting to the VM using RDP, but this also hangs. In both cases I am trying to connect using the IP address of the VM (192.168.3.122 - e.g. http://192.168.3.122)

I can ping the VM from the host using the IP address, and can connect to the web site locally from within the VM (using http://localhost).

There is no firewall enabled in the VM, and I can telnet to port 80 on the VM from the host machine.

Can anyone advise on what configuration is required to allow external access to web and other services which are running in the VM?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Is the Virtual Machine's Network set to NAT or Bridged? If NAT set it to Bridged and release/renew the IP Address if you make the switch while the Virtual Machine is running.

0 Kudos
nhiservices
Contributor
Contributor

It's already set to Bridged.

Interestingly, I've just tried to access the website in the VM from a different physical machine on the same network, and this DOES work. I can also RDP into the VM from that same physical machine. So it looks as if it's just the VMware player host machine that has this problem.

???

0 Kudos
MullionBlasto
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue. No ideas. Been reading that I need to turn on ICS and connect through that. However, I don't know why and couldn't get that to work. I wish VMware would post something useful on this particular issue which doesn't seem to have a definitive answer on the forums.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Try to disable TCP Chimney (TCP Offload) on the host:

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TCPIP\Parameters\DisableTaskOffload

Setting this value to 1 disables all task offloads from the TCP/IP transport. Setting this value to zero enables all task offloads.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos