VMware Communities
rodpin123
Contributor
Contributor

Can't access PPP equipment connected to Guest

Hello everyone!

First, let me thank this community in advance, since it helped me in the past.

Well, basically, what I'm trying to do is to connect an equipment that needs to talk to a Windows Host through a Linux (Lubuntu) Guest.

Now a bit more of details:

1 - I have a software that only runs on Windows, and this is running on the Windows host that's also running the VMWare Player;

2 - The equipment talks RS-485, and connects using a PPP link, so I'm using a Serial x USB converter

3 - Using pppd on the Guest, I've created a connection to the equipment board that I need to talk to;

4 - From the Guest, I'm able to ping this equipment's remote IP (192.168.2.2), and I can confirm it by the equipment interace board LEDs...

5 - ... But I can't do it from my Windows Host.

6 - From the Host, I can ping the VM NIC (192.168.2.1) and the local PPP IP (192.168.2.4);

7 - The network card is configured with NAT.

8 - This is the command I'm using to create the PPP link: pppd silent noccp  nodetach noauth local logfile /home/logs/''$timestamp''pppd2.txt nocrtscts defaultroute kdebug 5 debug proxyarp 192.168.2.4:192.168.2.2 /dev/ttyMXUSB2 9600

Here'a an illustration of my network:

Network.png

Do you guys have any idea of what's going on?

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

If you are using NAT for the VM with address range 192.168.2.0/24, the NAT gateway is 192.168.2.2 which is what you assigned to the equipment; which means there is a conflict.

Use "bridged" if possible. If NAT has to be used, you have to avoid .2 IP address.

0 Kudos
rodpin123
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot bluefirestorm​!

I still haven't tried that, but what I did was to change the host and guest IPs to different networks from PPP, but haven't got any success, but I used 10.0.0.1 to guest and 10.0.0.2 to host, so I think I was making the same mistake as before.

I'll try to change it to 10.0.0.3 on the host, but I'm not sure how can I create the bridge connection, since the Windows software will be running on Windows host. I'll be with the equipment next Tuesday, when I'll try to make the suggested changes!

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

As you using VMware Player, you don't have the Virtual Network Editor GUI.

Since you have configured the VM using NAT, that would be VMnet8.

It is best to use the built-in DHCP service of VMnet8. But if you want to assign manually fixed IP addresses, it is best to use the same range as VMnet8 (you can see this in ipconfig). You need to avoid assign .1 (which is VMnet8) .2 (which is the gateway) and 128-255 (I think that is the default range for the built-in DHCP). Manually assigning IP also means the .2 IP address is for the gateway and DNS for external internet access.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Workstation Player area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos