VMware Communities
Vodkaholic27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't SSH into vmware player (can using local IP but not external IP)

As above

Can't SSH into vmware player (can using local IP but not external IP)

Am new to vmware so if you need anymore info to help me out on this you might have to tell me how to get it Smiley Sad

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Vodkaholic27, I'd start by laying off the vodka for a bit Smiley Happy and then set the Virtual Machine's Network Adapter to Bridged and then assign an appropriate Static IP Address in the Guest OS for that of the Physical LAN the Host is on.  Then in the Physical LAN's Router for the Static IP Address you assigned in the Guest OS configure it to allow Port Forwarding on the appropriate Port(s).  Then you'll be able to access it from outside the Host's Physical LAN.  If it is just from other System on the Host's Physical LAN that you want to access the Guest then you do not need to configure Port Forwarding on the Router on the Host's Physical LAN, just use Bridged for the Virtual Machine's Network Adapter.  If you need to use NAT for the Virtual Machine's Network Adapter then you'll need to set Port Forwarding in the Virtual Network Editor.

Note: The Virtual Network Editor is not installed by default in Vmware Player 3.x and later.

==========

To install the missing Virtual Network Editor, from a Command Prompt:

VMware-player-*.exe -e c:\vmptmp

Then in the c:\vmptmp folder locate the c:\vmptmp\network.cab file and extract (double-click the .cab file) the vmnetcfg.exe (Virtual Network Editor) file to the VMware Player working directory usually "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Player" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player".  You can create a shortcut for it and place it with the VMware Player shortcut if you want easier access to it.  Note: It takes a little while for all the files to be extracted to then have access to the network.cab file.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What do you mean by internal IP and external IP? Which machine owns wich IP?

Have you checked that all firewalls (host?) allow port 22 for ssh?

Do you use bridged or NAT für the guest?

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
Gkeerthy
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you put the virtual machine NIC in the bridged mode, and give a public IP or NAT IP defnitly it will work.

what is the error which you are getting, get the out put of pathping, tracert, ping etc

Please don't forget to award point for 'Correct' or 'Helpful', if you found the comment useful. (vExpert, VCP-Cloud. VCAP5-DCD, VCP4, VCP5, MCSE, MCITP)
0 Kudos
Vodkaholic27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes it is open

0 Kudos
Vodkaholic27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well the network adapter is set to Bridged

ive not given it a IP or used Nat I wasn't sure what they did

should I try them?

Cheers

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Vodkaholic27, I'd start by laying off the vodka for a bit Smiley Happy and then set the Virtual Machine's Network Adapter to Bridged and then assign an appropriate Static IP Address in the Guest OS for that of the Physical LAN the Host is on.  Then in the Physical LAN's Router for the Static IP Address you assigned in the Guest OS configure it to allow Port Forwarding on the appropriate Port(s).  Then you'll be able to access it from outside the Host's Physical LAN.  If it is just from other System on the Host's Physical LAN that you want to access the Guest then you do not need to configure Port Forwarding on the Router on the Host's Physical LAN, just use Bridged for the Virtual Machine's Network Adapter.  If you need to use NAT for the Virtual Machine's Network Adapter then you'll need to set Port Forwarding in the Virtual Network Editor.

Note: The Virtual Network Editor is not installed by default in Vmware Player 3.x and later.

==========

To install the missing Virtual Network Editor, from a Command Prompt:

VMware-player-*.exe -e c:\vmptmp

Then in the c:\vmptmp folder locate the c:\vmptmp\network.cab file and extract (double-click the .cab file) the vmnetcfg.exe (Virtual Network Editor) file to the VMware Player working directory usually "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Player" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player".  You can create a shortcut for it and place it with the VMware Player shortcut if you want easier access to it.  Note: It takes a little while for all the files to be extracted to then have access to the network.cab file.

0 Kudos
Vodkaholic27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@WoodyZ thanks for that oh and I don't drink vodka anymore :D, right ive set it to bridged  in the network connection place for my VM

I am very new to this so this is prob a dumb question right here but how would I go about "assign an appropriate Static IP Address in the Guest OS for that of the Physical LAN the Host is on"

I see they do 30 free days on the workstation think I should give this a try ? ive read you can hide it when its running something which player don't do

Mike

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I am very new to this so this is prob a dumb question right here but how would I go about "assign an appropriate Static IP Address in the Guest OS for that of the Physical LAN the Host is on"

if using a Bridged Network Adapter in the Virtual Machine then this is basically no different then another Physical Machine on the LAN, so ascertain what IP Address are outside the Scope of the Physical LAN's Router's DHCP Server IP Address Pool and not assigned to other systems and use an appropriate address that is left in that Subnet.

Then in the Guest OS use that appropriate IP Address along with Subnet Mask, Gateway Address and DNS Servers.  If you have X Windows installed in your Debian Virtual Machine then there is a GUI for the network Adapter that you can modify these settings.  If you don't have X Windows installed then you'll have to do it from the command line and Google is your friend! Smiley Wink

I see they do 30 free days on the workstation think I should give this a try ? ive read you can hide it when its running something which player don't do

You certainly can trial VMware Workstation for 30 day however if you're not wanting to spend the money you can always use vmrun to start the Virtual Machine with the nogui parameter however do not do so until the Guest OS has been properly configured for Remote Administration and or Remote Desktop Access to be able to control it.

Vodkaholic27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks

Right I updated to workstation just to try this (30 days)

Here is the Network editor

http://i.imgur.com/OsNCT.jpg

A shot from VM

http://i.imgur.com/4CzaQ.jpg

And I still get

http://i.imgur.com/Bt8Mp.jpg

Also my site is not reachable http://vk27.co.uk/

Maybe am way over my head here. its very confusing Smiley Sad

Mike

edit = oh and here is my VM settings

http://i.imgur.com/B5z21.jpg

0 Kudos
Vodkaholic27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fixed it.. was my router ...

Thanks for the all the replys ^_^

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Now I can see: http://vk27.co.uk/ Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Vodkaholic27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yea only a test site:)

Thansk for the help woody

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Vodkaholic27 wrote: Yea only a test site:)

Yeah, the Latin makes it obvious. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Tyomni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Doh, while I was trying to explain You how to play with adapters basic settings in other thread You have already done it here ... 🙂

VM or Not to VM...?

That is the question!

0 Kudos