VMware Communities
Robert333
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can no longer drag and drop into the Virtual Desktop from the Host Desktop

Hello,

I have VMware Player 3.1.5, installed to Windows 7 Starter, SP1.

I realisee that this is an old version of the VMware Player, but would appreciate help.

(I had to choose this version of VMware Player in order to install Win98SE - later versions of VMware Player do not support this Guest OS. The Win98SE is for the purpose of running some old, but still useful, applications that do not run in the Host operating system Windows 7.)

I can no longer "drag and drop" files / folders into the Virtual Desktop, from the Host Desktop.

I can still do it the other way round.

Until recently, "drag and drop" between the VM installed Guest operating system Desktop and the host real Desktop, worked fine.

This Win98SE guest operating system does not support / is not supported for, the alternative Import method, of using Shared folders.

The antivirus installed to the Host operating system is Avast and I always disable it when using the VM.

When I try to "drag and drop" from the Host system to the Guest VM, there is no error message, but the "read-only" pointer symbol appears (a circle with two "diameter" lines in it) instead of the usual pointer's "dragging file" symbol, and NO transfer takes place.

I have tried "dragging and dropping": a folder, a simple .txt format file, and a Microsoft Word file.

I have no restore points available dated prior to August 7, 2016, the date when the VM's Import function last worked.

The following is what I have tried to do to resolve the issue:

Rebooting.

("VMware Player 3.1.5" does not run in Safe Mode.)

Used "MSCONFIG" with minimum 'Startup' items Enabled (but including "VMWare Workstation" enabled).

Carried out a "Repair" of "VMware Player 3.1.5" (which can only be done from its original installer file).

Within "VMWare Player", carried out a "Repair" of its VM Tools".

It detects a new version of VM Tools but is unable to install it.

VM Tools are installed.

Individually uninstalled all but one, of the Windows Security and Non-Security Updates that have been installed till now since August 7, 2016 (which was the date when the Import function of VMWare Player was last used successfully), testing VMWare Player's Import function after each individual Windows Update uninstall.

(Did NOT test the following Windows Update types (installed since August 7, 2016 - see above):

.NET Framework Updates,

Microsoft Office Updates,

and one Silverlight Update.)

I also replaced the VM folder with a Backup made prior to the issue.

I dIsabled both Avast Antivirus and Comodo Firewall, and then tested the VM's Import function.

I uninstalled the VMware Player, and then reinstalled it.

I uninstalled Avast antivirus, then used the Avast Clean Tool to ensure complete removal, and then tested the VM's Import function.

All the above changes were reversed using System Restore.

Then I replaced the Backup VM I had tried, with the version I had been using when the Import function had failed.

I then found that the Import function worked :smileyalert:, but because there was no logical reason why it should have been "repaired" - since in effect, NO changes had been made since it failed, I suspected correctly that this "miracle" would be temporary. Therefore I rebooted the computer and tested the VM's Import function again, when (of course) it did NOT work.

I have no idea why it failed, nor why it worked just temporarily, and it is NOT working now.

I would appreciate help in restoring the VM's Import ("drag and drop") function.

Regards,

Robert333

I want to edit my first message, to show here what was the solution (I had omitted to mention that I had started elevating the application with "Run as administrator"). Be warned that this applies to any application to which you wish to "drag and drop" ! :

* * * * EDIT STARTS TO SHOW WHAT WAS THE SOLUTION TO THIS ISSUE: * * * *

QUOTE FROM:

WILA. 06-Nov-2016 03:55:

File drag and drop functionality only works when both source as well as target are running under the same user account.

So if you start VMPlayer via "run as administrator" then you cannot drag and drop files anymore.

This is by design and is an active security measure of how Windows works. (see also: windows 7 - Drag and Drop File into Application under run as administrator - Super User)

* * * * END OF EDIT TO SHOW WHAT WAS THE SOLUTION TO THIS ISSUE * * * *

0 Kudos
33 Replies
Robert333
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Wila,

Thanks for the interesting information.

Fusion requires a minimum of 4 GB of RAM. My computer is an Asus Netbook upgraded to its maximum of 2 GB of RAM, running Windows 7, SP1 (x86) (as Host).

Sphere seems to be a range of virtualision products that would be capable of doing rather a lot more than I need, and I therefore assume would also come with a price reflecting such assets.

Would I be likely to be able to run the Win98SE VM on VM Workstation Player 6.0.7 which may be the latest one that will run on a 32 bit machine, and would I also be able to find legacy VM Tools for it?  :

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/6_0%7CPLAYER-607%7Cpr...

Regards,

Robert

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Fusion also requires OS X / macOS. vSphere is for servers, there's actually a free version, but it will not be suitable for your needs.

Sorry for sending you on a goose chase, just wanted to make it clear that your VM is very portable.

You are correct that later versions of player need x64 at the host.

VMware Player 6.0.7 sounds like your best bet. It will come with the legacy tools included (and if not it can be downloaded)

--

Wil

edit: fixed a few typo's

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Robert333
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Wila,

I uninstalled VMware Player 3.1.5 and then installed version 6.0.7, but this did not resolve the either the VM's Import failure nor the issue of being unable to use the USB Flash Drive.

After doing that I realised I should try the VM's Import function in the Built-In Administrator account.

(My normal account is one with Administrator Privileges.)

When logged into the Built-in Administrator account, the VM's Import (drag and drop) function currently works!

I rebooted and logged into the latter account three times and it works.

VMware Player cannot be used in Safe mode, but I would just mention the following:

When software works in Safe mode but not in Normal mode, this is considered as likely due to third-party software interference.

However, when software works in the Built-in Administrator account but not in a user's account, this is considered as likely due to Permission issues.

I do not know why there would have occurred any possible permissions issue on my user account (administrator privileges), and do not know how to trace the cause nor solve such an issue.

So far as the USB issue is concerned, the USB driver for the Flash Drive is recognised by the VMware Player, but in the Guest OS Device Manager this shows the following three items with an error status:

Device Manager >

[Category] Other devices >

? PCI Multimedia Audio Device

? PCI System Peripheral

? PCI Universal Serial Bus.

Properties for the entry: "? PCI Universal Serial Bus":

'PCI Universal Serial Bus Properties' dialog box:

Device status

"The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28.) To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver"

Device Manager also give the following two items a normal status listing:

[Category] Universal Serial Bus controllers >

Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

USB Root Hub

If I could find to download any such missing USB drivers, then using the Flash drive would be a more convenient workaround than having to enable the Built-in Admin account each time. For security reasons I keep it disabled when not in use.

I have searched the Internet but cannot find USB drivers that could match to the error status in device manager.

Regards,

Robert.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Finally some progress at last.

Note one thing.. (which might or might not be relevant)

File drag and drop functionality only works when both source as well as target are running under the same user account.

So if you start VMPlayer via "run as administrator" then you cannot drag and drop files anymore.

This is by design and is an active security measure of how Windows works. (see also: windows 7 - Drag and Drop File into Application under run as administrator - Super User)

Sorry never even considered this might be your root cause.

On the USB issue, you need windows 98 to be able to recognize the USB bus device in order to get it to recognize any USB device.

If you right click on the device not being recognized can you get the USB device ID?

Have you re-installed vmware tools?

Did you upgrade the virtual hardware?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
Robert333
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Wila,

Well, I'm very grateful for your response - That did it ! It works now. Thank you.

I just must NOT open VMware Player with: "Run as administrator".

I cannot now recall if I was not doing that at some stage and then started running it like that, but I suppose that is what must have happened. Also I had not thought it significant enough to mention in this thread that I was opening the VMware Player in "elevated" manner - sorry about that !

Can I do something for you?

I don't know what it is you are testing, but if you would like "Go Back", I have version 3.11 compatible with Win98 and XP, but would need to have some way of sending it to you. Do let me know!

Regarding the USB issue:

You wrote:

"If you right click on the device not being recognized can you get the USB device ID?"

The VMware Player recognises the device and so it offers to connect it. When I click to connect it, it disconnects the device from the Host. However, there is subsequently no sign of it, within the guest's My Computer nor its Windows Explorer, and therefore nothing to right-click; but if it were present there, then I assume I would be able to use it.

In the Guest's Device Manager the following item has a ? against it, and its Properties say there are no drivers installed:

"? PCI Universal Serial Bus".

That suggests to me possibly, that the OS cannot find drivers by which the USB slots on the assumed "motherboard" can recognise any USB-connected device.

How would this normally be rectified?

Is it really so that this item indeed does require drivers, and if so, where do I find them to get the VM to connect to USB-connected devices? There is after all, no real motherboard with a VM, to identify.

Finally, when the new version VMware Player 6.0.7 starts the Guest OS, the Player gives the following message - what does this indicate please? (The URL in the message does not seem to apply to my circumstances):

"Windows 98 SE - VMware Player

Binary translation is incompatible with long mode on this platform. Long mode will be disabled in this virtual environment. Applications requiring long mode will not function properly as a result. See

http://vmware.com/info?id=152 for more details."

(I have just changed my profile on this website so my username displays, rather than my name.)

Regards,

Robert.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello Robert,

Glad to hear that drag and drop now works properly for you again.

Don't worry about forgetting to mention that, I'm a bit ashamed about not thinking about that particular scenario any earlier myself Smiley Happy

re. Can I do something for you?

You already did, you replied that the solution worked. That's why I answer questions on here, to help out, it is my main motivation.

It is perhaps hard to believe but I have binaries from version 1.x of most VMware products down here and upwards, so no need to send anything.

The product I'm working on and testing is Vimalin, for the moment it is on macOS only (windows version scheduled for early next year)

For the device that isn't installed properly I need a device number to say something useful (or dig up a Window 98 VM here myself). It should be available if you right click and then one of the tab pages.

The error you get about long mode is irrelevant for your guest OS, it has something to do with 64 bits operating systems, never seen a 64bit Windows 98, so if you can then check a checkbox to not have the error appear anymore.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
Robert333
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guest OS_Device Manager.jpgHello Wila,PCI USB Properties_General tab.jpgPCI USB Properties_Driver tab.jpgPCI USB Properties_Resources tab.jpg

Not sure what you need for the USB issue but I am going to try to paste in Images from the guest's Device Manager, and which seem to be imported to this post above my text, something I cannot seem to change.

By the way, perhaps you should take a look at the following new and advanced operating system, which you can see here (it is an interactive Flash display!):

http://windowsreallygoodedition.com/

Kind regards,

Robert333

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I managed to locate a windows 98 VM on a system of mine, but it only has a remote screen (no local screen attached) so no USB device attached at the moment either.

That was a "blast from the past"

See:

pastedImage_0.png

If your USB controller looks like above it should work.

On my system I only see "PCI Bus" which is mostly unrelated.

The device id's I was asking for are apparently not yet visible in this version of Windows. It's just too long ago I worked with that to remember that particular detail.

There's a few things I would try in your case.

1. Make a backup of your VM,  with your guest OS shut down and VMware Player not running, preferably to an external disk.

2. Reinstall VMware Tools (uninstall -> reboot -> install -> reboot )

3. If that did not help, remove the USB controller from virtual hardware (with VM shut down) boot/shutdown, add USB controller again

4. If that still did not help, upgrade virtual hardware

and I would also install all of the security updates, but that's something I mentioned earlier already Smiley Wink

--

Wil

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Note one thing.. (which might or might not be relevant)

Sorry never even considered this might be your root cause.

Wow... Thanks for this tidbit, Wil.  I'll have to file this one away as very useful info.  Never was aware nor considered it.

0 Kudos
Robert333
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Wila,

Thanks for your reply. I am sorry that my screen capture of the Device Manager screen failed to include the USB Controller category.

This image shows the queries against the "PCI USB" items for which drivers are not installed, but the image now shows as expanded, the separate item for the USB Controllers which as you can see show no errors.

It is the "PCI USB" items which may hold the key to being able to have USB devices show up in Windows Explorer, since it suggests that the "motherboard" is lacking USB drivers to recognise USB devices.

Regards,

Robert.

Guest OS_Device Manager 2.jpg

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Can you attach the vmx file of the VM to a reply here please?

--

Wil

0 Kudos
Robert333
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Wila,

Thanks for replying and here attached is the vmx file.

(Please note that I am back with version 3.1.5, because 6.0.7 constantly gave an error message on loading the VM that I must take ownership > take ownership then! > Message: Taking ownership unsuccessful > Loaded it okay anyway.

I assume this is because uninstall does not get rid of all files or registry entries of the previous version.)

By the way, in that link I gave for the spoof Windows (its really good!), the first spoof error message you see says that:

Windows found a required dll file and so it deleted it.

Amazingly, recently I got a very similar message from Windows 7 !

Sadly I don't have a copy of it,  but it was with words almost exactly like this:

"System Restore was unable to restore successfully - your files have not been changed. This was due to an unspecified error 0Xwhatever... . The restore point you used became corrupted during the attempted restore and has been deleted" !

P.S. Do you know how I can configure Communities.vmware.com to display the message I was on upon I logging in, rather than by default it loading the "Welcome page" (which then means I have to find the message I was in, again)?

Regards,

Robert333

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Just copied my olde Windows 98 VM to one of my OS X machines and ran it there. This time I updated the virtual hardware and guess what popped up?

A "PCI to USB" adapter.. I did not have a windows 98 install disk close by so I just entered through the errors while noting down the required files.

pastedImage_2.png

Apparently you would be looking for the following files:

C:\Windows\INF\USB.INF

uhcd.sys

usbd.sys

usbhub.sys

usbui.dll

The files with extension .sys and .dll should be in the BASE5.CAB file of your install media.

I'll run more tests later, once I get time to search for a win98 disk (I should have some somewhere) and see if I can attach a USB disk to the guest.

re PS: Long standing bug in the forum software, we as moderators have complained about it since 2010 or so. It has been fixed over time then broke again, rinse repeat that a few times and we got tired of reporting it.

0 Kudos
Robert333
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Wila,

The Win98SE guest System looks for .INF files and could not find what it wanted anywhere on the installation disc.

I have now discovered that the reason is that even the Second Edition 98 did not ship with any USB drivers.

I downloaded and installed a "Windows 98SE Generic USB Mass Storage Device Driver" file, and the guest System now not only recognises my USB Flash Drive, but also recognises an external drive!

It is also possible that it can now recognise a wide range of USB devices without need of a vendor Win98 driver.

After following the instructions for installing the "USB Mass Storage Device Drivers", the vendor driver (unless the user cannot trace one) should always (in my view) be installed BEFORE connecting the USB device (unless the vendor of that device specifies otherwise).

For those with Windows 98 First Edition (version 4.10.1998), they can download the installation file "Windows 98 USB Mass Storage Device Drivers", here:

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

That website does also have the equivalent file for Win98SE, but I found a different website whose download file has a file name which suggests to me that their file is newer. Therefore for those with Windows 98 Second Edition (version 4.10.2222), they can download the installation file "Windows 98SE Generic USB Mass Storage Device Driver", and also see the installation instructions for it, here:

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-install-usb-mass-storage-device-on-windows-98/

Thank you for your help and do let me know if you like a copy of my up-to-date VM Win98SE backup (the System is in English)?

If so, please let me know how I can send it to you.

Regards,

Robert333

0 Kudos