VMware Communities
rocket888
Contributor
Contributor

Can I use my usb microphone and still have host sound card playback

My (usb) Meteor Mic appears to my computer (win xp) as a usb sound card - with the mic as the recording device and the audio output jack on the mic as its sound card playback device.

On  my host, I can see 2 sound devices (i.e. this mic plus my normal sound  card) and so I can select the mic as my record device and the regular  sound card for my playback.

In vmware player (ver 4.0.4) when I plug in the mic, it shows up as a removable device which I can connect and disconnect.

Under the vm settings, there is only 1 sound card allowed, and so I can only choose between my regular sound card and this usb mic, but not both.

So it appears that I cannot split the input/output across the mic and the normal playback to my speakers as I can in the host.

Is there any way to accomplish this in vm player?

It also won't let me switch between the two devices without reconfiguring the vm and then rebooting the guest.

I'm  trying to use the mic for speech recognition in my windows 8 guest -  which works, but then I have to use the mic for sound playback, which is  not very good (it's only designed to be used with headphones so you can  hear yourself with no delays - and so the volume level is quite low).

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rocket888
Contributor
Contributor

The problem turned out to be that this vm didn't have a usb controller. Once that was added, the mic turned up in the removable section as a second sound card.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos