VMware Communities
mattad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can I delete VMWare\InstallerCache folder?

When I look into the folder

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VMWare\InstallerCache\

under 64bit Win 7 then its growing over the time to now around 700 GB.

Is this normal?

Can I simply delete the content or is it absolutely required for VMware Player to run?

Matt

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

It shouldn't be required to run. But it would be needed for repair/uninstall. These may have accumulated over the years on updates/upgrades.

I would suggest to keep some of the MSI files (especially the most recent ones).

So you may want to sort the contents of the folder by date and keep the most recent ones and the older ones can safely be deleted.

0 Kudos
mattad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok.

In case that the current VMWare Player installation is damaged I could deinistall and re-install it otherwise even if no *.msi archive files are present

Correct?

Matt

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

I don't think you can uninstall/change/repair the current VMware Player if you removed all MSI files from the installer cache folder. Because it will definitely look for the corresponding MSI.

Ok, I will try to be thorough in the explanation (and in the process long winded), so bear with me for a while :smileylaugh:

If you are on the current version (i.e. VMware Workstation Player 12.5.x), the likelihood is the latest MSI should be kept. But if you are on an older version and/or you just want to be absolutely sure you are keeping the correct MSI; perform these steps

(1) Go to Control Panel - Programs - Uninstall a program, and look at the "Installed On" date of the VMware Player that you have.

(2) You then sort the Installer Cache folder by date and there should be at least one MSI whose date matches the "Installed On" date found on step (1)

The MSI that has same date as the "Installed On" date is the MSI that you would want to keep; as this would be the one needed if you try to do any uninstall/change/repair.

In the event you have multiple MSIs having the same date as the "Installed On" date, it could be possible that you downloaded several times and/or the download happened in the background and you didn't proceed with the installation/upgrade; the one with latest timestamp should be the one to be kept.

In the event, you have an MSI whose date is more recent than the "Installed On" date, although it's hard to think of why there should be (unless it is some other VMware product such as Workstation that you downloaded and then removed), if you want to play safe, keep that one as well.

0 Kudos