VMware Communities
mattad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can I boot a Linux from CD and mount the vmdk (how?)?

Assume I want to modify some files of a Linux system which is currently installed in a VM (=on a vmdk).

Think of e.g. the /etc/fstab file or others.

Because the files in focus are currently locked when running the system resp. the files are overwritten at shutdown

Users cannot edit them at runtime.

I have to access them when the corresponding Linux system is NOT active

So I think about mount and boot a second Linux system on a separate bootable CD.

I will have a running Linux with its own set of files and necessary drivers.

Then I have to mount the full filesystem of the vmdk of the actual, first Linux system in the VM into the second system.

How can I mount and full access (=with write permuission) it (as root)?

Thank you

Matt

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have to admit I really hate it when a user just says Linux because there are many different Distros and in a case such as this I could give directions for one particular use case scenario and they may not work with a different Distro!

That said what your asking is basically no different then if doing it totally on physical machines so as such consult the user community for the specific distro(s) involved.  Also this particular subject has been covered ad nauseum on the Internet and the directions are already out there, so Google is your friend! Smiley Wink

I will at least say that if the distro your using has a Live OS ISO Image then I'd suggest booting the VM with it to mount the vHDD and modify its files. Also in some cases I've seen it will automatically mount the HDD however some distros don't.

0 Kudos