VMware Communities
FireonIce
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CPU features for 5.0.1

I cannot ugrade my VMware Player 2.0.3 to the latest 5.0.1. I'm getting the message that it "requires features not present on my CPU". I even uninstalled VMware Player, but didn't help. I looked at the minimum requirements and it say's CPU 1GHz (2 recommeded), RAM 1Gig (2 rec'd) and 150mb of disc space.  My computer has Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.0 GHz, 1GHz RAM and has 209 GB of free disc space available. I have new cd software loaded onto my computer, but I cannot access because it requires VMware.  What gives?  Thank You, Jay.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

Unfortunately your hardware seems not to be supported for versions later than 3.x. Take a look at Installation Requirements for version 5.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

Unfortunately your hardware seems not to be supported for versions later than 3.x. Take a look at Installation Requirements for version 5.

André

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Beginning with Player 4.0, the CPU requirements are "a 64-bit x86 CPU with LAHF/SAHF support in long mode."  Some Pentium 4s do not support LAHF/SAHF in long mode.

FireonIce
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you both. It seems that that is the issue. I guess it's time for an update. Probably easier to get a new tower, than to get a new motherboard & cpu. Any recommendations for my research? (Thinking...pentium i7??). Thanks, Jay

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Any recommendations for my research? (Thinking...pentium i7??)

It depends on what you want to do with the PC. I was in the same situation back in 2010 and decided to spend some money on a system that I think should fit my requirements for the next 3-4 years. What I got was an I7-2600 system with 16GB memory, a HDD, SSD, ... and from my experience so far it's just the memory which sometimes gets exhausted (with a couple of VMs running of course)

André

0 Kudos
FireonIce
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK. Sounds like that would work for me too. I try to do the same thing and try to buy the most memory I can. Thanks Andre'.

Jay

0 Kudos