VMware Communities
jMax966
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CAD and VMWare Workstation

Hello to all,
I just wanted to know if it was possible to run a CAD program (AutoCAD or similar) on the free virtual machine. No PRO.
I use VMWare on Linux Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04
Thanks a lot.
Greetings.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oligarch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@scott28tt  Thanks for the correction regarding usage. I didn't know that.

@jMax966  Most CAD software vendors offer free trials. Perhaps the best way to be sure is to "try before you buy". AutoCAD is very expensive, so I wouldn't dive right in if I was you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@jMax966 

The answer should be the same for Player or Pro - there's no guarantee but many users have graphically-intensive applications running in VMs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
oligarch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Absolutely! I successfully run AutoCAD, and form.Z in Player 16. Early on, I tested a number of candidates, but VMware was the only one to offer support for legacy LPT ports (required for hardware lock dongles).

0 Kudos
IPHoundD0g
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, not sure about the free virtual machine but I run ACAD on VM Wrkstn Pro with no issues.  

0 Kudos
oligarch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I should add, that the only gotcha is that VMware Player is for non-commercial use. If you are OK with that, go for it!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@oligarch 

Not quite, Player is free for non-commercial use but must be paid for if the use is commercial - either way a licence key is required.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jMax966
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Scott,
the use of the virtual machine is absolutely homemade. So not commercial. The CAD is for study / teaching purposes. It would not be used professionally.
I just want to be sure that you can install a CAD on VMWare for free. But from what I'm reading it seems to me that there are no problems. can you confirm it for me too?
Thanks everyone for the answers.
If you have any other advice or suggestions I would be very grateful.
Hello everybody.

p.s. sorry for the language, i'm using google translate, i hope no embarrassing meanings come out 🙂

0 Kudos
oligarch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@scott28tt  Thanks for the correction regarding usage. I didn't know that.

@jMax966  Most CAD software vendors offer free trials. Perhaps the best way to be sure is to "try before you buy". AutoCAD is very expensive, so I wouldn't dive right in if I was you.

0 Kudos
jMax966
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Heartfelt thanks to everyone for the info.
I still haven't bought the computer that will have to do this job.
It will certainly have to be a very performing machine with Linux Ubuntu 20.04 as the base operating system. VMWare will host Win10Pro only to manage CAD software.
I hope to be able to test CAD with the laptops I have at my disposal at the moment, but I don't know how good the result will be. I'm currently using an HP Core i3 7th Gen. 12Mb RAM.
I don't think the graphics card supports me CAD. That's why I asked for information from those who, perhaps, had already done so.
However all the information was useful and very welcome.
Anyone who has more to say will be pleased to read it.
Best wishes.

Max, Rome - Italy

0 Kudos