VMware Communities
NeedHelp_
Contributor
Contributor

[Bug]: %Common Files%

Hello, I hope this is the right place to submit a bug.

I am using VMware Player 3.1.4 build-385536 under Windows 7 and found following problem:

VMware Player is storing data (folder "VMware\USB\" in my case) under "%program files%\Common Files\" instead of "%Common Files%\".

- This is pretty annoying under non-English systems! A good programmer should always take the environment variables! Smiley Wink

It would be really nice, if a VMware developer could reply to this post and confirm this issue. Smiley Happy

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
YLeduc1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

while not a developer, I looked on my Windows 7 PC and like you, I have a directory named C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VMware\USB containing dll and applications (about 13 files). On the other hand, I have 2 environment variables pointing to it. CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files and CommonProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files. On my system, I don't have one for just CommonFiles.

Regards.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

having that directory is ok when you have no other path defined for %Common Files%

the problem is that the installers ignore %Common Files% - the installer only checks the environment varaiables for the program files directory and then ignores language typical or customized differences

0 Kudos