VMware Communities
AndriZ
Contributor
Contributor

Bringing player to foreground

Hi, not sure if that can be tweaked, but here is my situation (I'm running linux host with windows quest):

* guest player is maximized (not fullscreen)

* open some host application in window that partially obscures the player

* click inside player window - the click is sent to the guest and processed, but the player is not being brought to the foreground - the opened host application window still obscures it. Clicking on player border/clicking on player task bar button properly activates it.

Is it supposed to work like that (I'm new to vmware) ? It would seem minor inconvenience, but a bit frustrating when i'm used switching to visible applications simply by clicking on them.

2 Replies
gslindk
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here, more details in software:

• Host is Ubuntu 20.04 (XFCE edition).  AMD Ryzen 3700X and 64GB RAM.
  • Guest is Windows 10 Pro, with VMware Tools for Windows (11.1.5, build-16724464).  Have set for 4 CPU and 4GB RAM in this vm.
  • VMware® Workstation 16 Player (16.1.0 build-17198959).

Not sure whether @AndriZ has resolved this issue.

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

I cannot give you any comparison on Linux desktops, but on many desktops, it is supposed to do that. You can even write into a window that is not on the top - try with Text Editor or Terminal.

The Windows way is that every window that becomes somehow active pops to the front, is ALSO very irritating in some cases - you cannot get anything done, if some running program makes the half-way hidden active window active all the time.

However, none of that is any problem in any major Linux desktop. Have a specific virtual desktop to your VMware and it stays virtually visible all the time. For instance, in Kubuntu (KDE), you can change the virtual desktop by rolling with the mouse in an empty space on any desktop - among many other ways.

0 Kudos