VMware Communities
NekoRose
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bridging Connection Fix

I am using VMWare Workstation Player, and I am trying to connect via my Wi-Fi extender, I can connect on the Host fine but when i bridge it and go in-VM, the DHCP, it only does the Discover packet, it never gets an offer. BUT if i switch to my weaker main wi-fi, it can get the whole DHCP process done fine. So how can I fix this so I can use my stronger Wi-Fi extender with my VM and get an IP from router since host is able to get the IP fine. I've tried most everything I see on google and i dont know what else to try. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If this is a show-stopper, as it seems based on your wording, use a fixed address outside the range of DHCP. Fixed address is defined in the client OS.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@NekoRose 

Perhaps the extender has a policy for when it sees multiple MAC addresses (of the physical NIC and the virtual NIC) on a single connection?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If this is a show-stopper, as it seems based on your wording, use a fixed address outside the range of DHCP. Fixed address is defined in the client OS.

NekoRose
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do you mean set the IP Address of the VM OS to an IP that DHCP would not likely use? so let's say DHCP has pool of 192.168.1.2 -- 192.168.1.50 , set the IP of the VM OS to 192.168.1.100?

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes. If your fixed address is outside the range, DHCP will surely not assign it to another device.

Not sure, if you need this information, but typically the range is 100-200 or 128-200, by default. So, an ip-address .100 is likely to cause a confilict - by default, that is.

You need to observe the current setup, so that you can change the entire "addressing system" of the VM to a new thing. Depending on the OS version, there may be shortcuts (=you can partially use automatic), but these are the things to have correctly:

First: Use "ipconfig /all" in Windows to see what you have now. (Or ifconfig in Linux).

- ip-address

- dns (according to your router, you may want to insert google service as secondary or tertiary for error situations: 8.8.8.8)

- gateway (according to your router, needed for Internet access, otherwise not needed)

---
This feels like a private case. If you have a corporation, fixed addresses might be difficult to get. In that case, you can ask for a static address that DHCP-server always assigns to your computer. However, not sure, following the tip that you got from elsewhere, if there is a duplicate MAC-address (in VM and physical computer), this might not work. Then you would need to take care of this problem ... but it is probably off-topic for you. Just telling in case you hit obstacles in doing this.

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

... not sure what happened ... this deleted my longer reply.

However, the answer is : Yes. Just check the current setup using "ipconfig /all" in Windows VM. Double-check also the DHCP-server setting, because that doesn't seem like a default situation.

NekoRose
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you SO MUCH! 😄 it worked

I just put in these commands: 

sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.150 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

sudo route add default gw 192.168.1.1

and manually change my DNS in /etc/resolv.conf

i then did ifconfig, saw the config info AND I was able to ping google.com AND a local pc on my network

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK, very good. I'm glad that you got it worked out.

VM was Linux, but good that you figured out the netconfig there. Typically there is GUI for these things, but command line always works.