VMware Communities
Tejc
Contributor
Contributor

Bridged network working on 1 adapter but not the other - Ubuntu Linux

Hi,

I got the VMware player running just fine under Ubuntu 7.10, but only if I configure it to use bridged networking on eth0. I also have a wireless network card installed as wlan0 which is actually my default network card. When i configure either only vmnet0 bridged to wlan0 the network in my guest OS doesnt work. If I plug in the cable to eth0 and configure via vmware-config.pl bridged network on eth0 everything works great...

Any help on how to make it work with wlan0 would be more then welcome.

Thanks

0 Kudos
26 Replies
sanne
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here: bridge not working on wireless, using Ubuntu 7.10.

Did you solve it? Does somebody know?

Could it be caused by some setting in the linux configuration?

I don't know what to check; the guest ping correctly the host machine but does not get further thant that.

0 Kudos
Tejc
Contributor
Contributor

No Smiley Sad

There must be something with the configuration of VMWARE, i suppose the installer doesn't work properly if you select a diffrent network card... Did you try it with wireless network card being the only network device in the computer? I didn't, but even if it works, I still need the other adapter 😕

0 Kudos
sanne
Contributor
Contributor

I actually also have a /dev/eth0, but I don't use it and is down without any ip; it's embedded in the mainboard, I could try disabling it in the BIOS.

I tryed OpenSuSE 10.3 linux now: same problem; I think it has something to do with kernel version 2.6.23.

Also NAT works as a "host only" configuration: I can ping to the vmnet8 ip and also to the ip of the wireless card, but no response from the router.

The any-any patch didn't help, actually it prevents Player 2.0.2 to start virtual machines, as it complains the kernel modules don't match expected versions (the patch look like it is installing an older version than the versions the player uses).

Both using bridged or NAT the network is not configured by DHCP (no response) and I had to do these tests by manually entering IP configurations.

My Windows XP guest is now totally isolated from the internet.

0 Kudos
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The problem is that while windows will bridge with the currently active network, linux doesnt, so if you bridged with eth0 which was a wired card, unless you setup a second bridged network with the wireless card, and then changed your vm to use it which using wireless, it wont work.

0 Kudos
Tejc
Contributor
Contributor

Well... Same as sanne, i have only WLAN0 active on my computer, but ETH0 is a motherboard network card, that i might plugin for some heavy network copying... What I want, is to be able to bridge to WLAN0 instead of default ETH0 (all in lower case letters).

So what you mean with "active"? ... Under windows XP or server, VMWARE player will normaly bridge either to wireless card or ethernet car without any problem (or active - they may be both active or just one, works anyway if the card i have bridged to is active..). Under ubuntu this is not so ... only works for ETH0 (don't have ETH1 to try though). .. but i might disable the ETH0 in BIOS (same as sanne) - but it's not what I want - i still want to use this netowrk card for some copying over network, since its 1GB card...

0 Kudos
sanne
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Liz, but I didn't bridge eth0.

Isn't it strange that vmware's DHCP doesnt' work even when using the NAT in this configuration?

0 Kudos
ketilf
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. VMware server 1.0.4-56528, Ubuntu 7.10. Nothing fails during setup of vmware server, and I set up the bridge against wlan0 (that's the only difference from default answers when installing vmware from the tarball).

When I run tcpdump on the host network (on wlan0), I can see arp requests and bootp/dhcp-requests from the guest, but no answers. For example, I see lots and lots of these now that the ubuntu guest is trying to get in touch with the mirrors (192.168.0.60 is the guest, 192.168.0.1 is the gateway/dns-server):

$ sudo tcpdump -nn -XX -e -t -i wlan0

tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode

listening on wlan0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes

00:0c:29:d3:a2:ad > ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, ethertype ARP (0x0806), length 42: arp who-has 192.168.0.1 tell 192.168.0.60

0x0000: ffff ffff ffff 000c 29d3 a2ad 0806 0001 ........).......

0x0010: 0800 0604 0001 000c 29d3 a2ad c0a8 003c ........)......<

0x0020: 0000 0000 0000 c0a8 0001 ..........

00:0c:29:d3:a2:ad > ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, ethertype ARP (0x0806), length 42: arp who-has 192.168.0.1 tell 192.168.0.60

0x0000: ffff ffff ffff 000c 29d3 a2ad 0806 0001 ........).......

0x0010: 0800 0604 0001 000c 29d3 a2ad c0a8 003c ........)......<

0x0020: 0000 0000 0000 c0a8 0001 ..........

The host can ping the guest, and the host can ping 192.168.01. Also, running tcpdump on 192.168.0.1, I don't see any arp packets arriving.

When using NAT instead of BRIDGE, it works for me.

0 Kudos
skywalkin1138
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in the same boat. Ubuntu 7.10, vmware-server 1.04. Default startup is bridged to eth0, but I made a copy of /etc/vmware/locations and changed all the "eth0" to "eth1" (my wireless lan); then made a script that sudo's to shutdown vmware, swap the locations file and restart vmware. Everything looks good, but no connections. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
megaroid
Contributor
Contributor

I use Ubuntu 7.10 and VMware Server 1.0.3 build-44356

1. Install g++ , linux-headers

2. Installing Vmware Server (say no for vmware-config.pl)

3. Install vmware-any-any-update

4. vmware-config.pl

vmware-config.pl

Netork Cards (if you get IP from a DHCP Server or like a Router with DHCP-Server)

In most Laptop is eth0 the real network with cable, brige this one, you will get a ip from your DHCP Server

Wlan Cards (they can not be made briged)

Wlan normaly can not again geting aDHCP Adress, thats wy we must have a vmware NAT Modul for this, the NAT Modul try a free Adress out of the DHCP Range and give this to the Virtual Maschine as a DHCP-Server. To the Interface Wlan Crad it goes with NAT.

HowTo

Bring wlan and eth up working with IP's in the same time in linux.

Then it's simpler to run vmware-config.pl and say by networking no. To empty all old stuff out. Then restart the vmware-config.pl , and say by "another network" yes.

The Wizard not show us not mutch, if you like, you can vmware-config.pl again run, and by networking keeping say no, then it ask you with wizard or be editor, juse editor, the you will see wich interface is to wich vmnet0 vmnet1 vmnet2 connected. You can change easy by juse by number 2 (vmnet1 i not have)

.vmnet0 briged to eth0

.vmnet2 briged to wlan0

so i say with number to change, in my case 2 Enter, then i say i want NAT, and search automatic for suitable subnet YES.

Configuration in the Vmware GUI

For my virtual Maschine (XP) i take one Networkcard just Briged, it set it automaticly to vmnet0

For the Wlan i ADD a Networkcard and say "Custom: Specific Virtual Network" and take vmnet2

Then all is good and works.

so By

sanne
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks megaroid for being so helpful; unfortunately my problem is limited to VMWare Player, not server.

Even so, I tried your suggestions but still I haven't had any luck.

Currently I'm not using ubuntu but openSuSE 10.3, and have exactly the same problems.

Older versions of VMware (Player1, Server1, Workstation 5) did work on the same hardware, so I think it could be a module/kernel version problem.

0 Kudos
sanne
Contributor
Contributor

up... still needing help.

I also tryed to use iptables to forward packets from host-only network to the wlan0 interface;

no success but I don't think my script was ok. Someone managed to acheve this with iptables/NAT ?

0 Kudos
ekkehart
Contributor
Contributor

I am running VM Player on a Vista and create the machines with Workstation 6.02 on Windows XP. Internet works flawlessly with a Windows XP guest with NAT (but not with bridged), but not with a Linux (Ubuntu 7.10) it does not work at all. As this seems to happen with Suse as well, it must be a problem of the new version of VMWorkstation/Player in connection with Linux.

0 Kudos
sanne
Contributor
Contributor

I have correct NAT working now on SuSE, I had to configure the NAT rules by hand: I used "host only" networking and then setup some NAT rules to my wireless card.

The reason I didn't manage to get it working in my previuos attempt was that I had disabled the firewall (thinking it was giving me problems) but on suse all iptables configuration is done at firewall start; my next problem is that at system boot the vmnet is not available, so I have to restart the firewall at a later stage, as last service.

I think the automatic configuration of vmware does something wrong on newer kernels, as it all worked well a year ago.

0 Kudos
Tejc
Contributor
Contributor

Heya... Well I still use the "cable" work-around on Ubuntu, and all the answers about how it doesn't work on linux are frustrating... As far as I'm concerned there should be no difference in bridgeing over the WLAN adapter or the regular network adapter - so there is (most probably) issue with the VMWARE installation (same thing happens in Server, Player and Workstation) - or there's a major issue with Linux drivers - which I don't think so... If it works under Windows, I'm sure developers should have a way to make it work under Linux too... There is most likely a big difference on number of people working on different distributions (Windows, Linux, Mac...) - and since far less people use Linux for work - there's a big chance none or only very little money is expected from this solution... Plug in the cable and you're good to go 😛

0 Kudos
mcintst
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue with VMPlayer on Xubuntu 7.10 on my Eee PC...I can't create a bridge to ath0 my wireless adapter.

If this really is a bug, and VMWare don't resolve it soon I'll have to go to a competing product from another vendor...

-Stuart.

0 Kudos
ekkehart
Contributor
Contributor

The problem seems to be related to the MAC address of the virtual internet card.The script at

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/46069

worked fine for me.

You can also do this by hand by adjusting the MAC-address for eth0 in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to the one the in .vmx file.

0 Kudos
mcintst
Contributor
Contributor

ekkehart, I think that topic you linked to was related to moving vms to a different host - I don't see how that applies in this case.

As suggested in an earlier post I disabled the on-board ethernet in BIOS leaving ath0 (my wirless adapter) the only active network adapter.

When I run vmware-config.pl it says that vmnet0 is bridged to ath0 but at the end shows 'failed' for Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0.

Then I saw the following in /var/log/messages: bridge-ath0: Interface ath0 is not a valid Ethernet interface

which led me to another thread within the forums which referenced that error. To cut a long story short I had to download madwifi drivers with a fix included for my chipset (madwifi-nr-r3366+ar5007) and then edit one of the header files following the instructions in

Now vmware-config.pl completes successfully!

I'm not completely done yet 'cos I think I have two sets of drivers loaded but it looks like I've found the solution to my particular problem with the Atheros chipset...

-Stuart.

0 Kudos
Tejc
Contributor
Contributor

Hey again!

I seem to have found a solution that is working just fine on Ubuntu 8.04.

First of all clean up old installation (sudo vmware-uninstall.pl). Then reinstall vmware from vmware-distrib (sudo ./vmware-install.pl). When asked if the setup file should run the vmware-config.pl answer with NO. Then download this file[http://liken.otsoa.net/pub/vmware/vmware-any-any-update-115-K2.6.24-WirelessBridge.tar.gz] unpack it and from within the extracted folder run the sudo ./runme.pl

Now answer yes to run vmware-config.pl and configure your bridged networking for WLAN0. Hope it works :smileyblush: