VMware Communities
SupperDad
Contributor
Contributor

Bridged network connection broken on host resume from sleep

I have VMWare Player 4.0.2 build 591240.  The host is a Windows 7 64-bit box.  The (only) guest is ubuntu 11.10.  The network is set up as "bridged".  It all works fine, except that if I hit the "sleep" button on my keyboard when the host has the focus, so that the host goes to sleep, then when I wake up the host the guest has lost network connectivity and doesn't recover it.

The guest still shows the network as connected (under "Virtual Machine > Removable Devices > Network Adapter"), but it is not connected.  To regain connectivity, I must disconnect and then reconnect the network adaptor (again, using the "Virtual Machine > Removable Devices > Network Adapter" menu).

My guess is that the guest does not get the signal that the host is going to sleep and disconnecting from the network, so that when the host wakes up the guest does not try to refresh its connection, but that's just a guess.

I've scanned this forum but have not seen anything like this problem described, so possibly I'm just missing a simple setting somewhere in the VMWare setup or perhaps in the guest setup.  Any help much appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi and welcome

create a batchfile with

net stop vmnetbridge
net start vmnetbridge

and store it as restart-bridge.cmd on the desktop

right click it and run as admin when ever necessary

0 Kudos
SupperDad
Contributor
Contributor

Thx, but is there really no non-interventionist solution?  I have the host set up for wake-on-lan and I'd like to be able to just wake up the host that way and then ssh or browse to the guest.  If I need to run this script, I will have to wake up the host, ssh to the host, run the script, disconnect from the host and then ssh or browse to the guest.  Doable, but awkward.

0 Kudos
fifa451
Contributor
Contributor

I have same problem. it will lost connection everytime after the host network reconnect.  I think it is a bug.

0 Kudos