VMware Communities
RSN2023
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bridged Network not Working

I used to use VMware Workstation 16 Player with Bridged network, Ubuntu 20.04 VM.

After updating to VMware Workstation 17 Player, it has stopped working. (Either that, or maybe the reason could be some new Windows updates?)

Using NAT still works. But I need Bridged for my work.

I have tried selecting and deselecting Replicate physical network connection state.
I have tried Custom network- VMnet0
I have selected one adapter at a time and checked, I have tried with all of them selected at once.
I have tried net stop and start vmnetbridge commands.
I had also tried some random commands on Ubuntu but nothing worked (I hope I didn't make it worse).

For some, it would immediately say 'Connection failed' or something similar when Ubuntu opens. For some I would wait for a while and there would be no Wired connection icon at all in the icons (which made me think those adapters are unrelated).

ip addr command does not give IP address and ping doesn't work.

Firewall is off and it seems the Windows Defender firewall isn't active either.

Since I am using the free version, I don't have Virtual Network Editor.

All I can think of now is downgrading VMware back to the 16th version. But is that really the right choice? I also have no idea how to downgrade while keeping my VMs safe and as they are.

The thing is, everything was working perfectly before and I know I didn't do any change except updating VMware and maybe updating Windows at some point.

I have rebooted and rebooted - both the guest and the host.

My host is Windows 10. Please help! I need to solve this urgently.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There have been reports of 17.0.1 breaking networking.  Try reverting to 17.0.0?

View solution in original post

15 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There have been reports of 17.0.1 breaking networking.  Try reverting to 17.0.0?

RSN2023
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah, that might be it. I tried reinstalling 17 (with the installation file I had of 17.0.1). It still didn't work. So I reinstalled 16 and it works again. Thank you! I didn't try with the 17.0.0 version though. So I assume that will probably work too then.

dh4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This was very helpful.  I had similar problems when I was using 17 Player (I even tried Workstation 17 Pro for the custom network config) and I couldn't get it to work properly on wifi but wired ethernet worked great.  After reading this post I tried rolling back to earlier versions (I was using 17.0.1).  Installing 16.2.5 works fine and 17.0.0 seems to be working ok for now.  Upgrading to 17.0.1 breaks bridged wifi connections.

0 Kudos
Arno_00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just FYI, the issue is still not resolved in 17.0.2 -- I am so disappointed in VMWare. Networking is a key part of their product, they break it without noticing in 17.0.1, and they don't even bother to fix it in 17.0.2... -1000 points!

tneiva
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgraded vmware workstaion pro from 17.0 to version 17.0.2 and on linux guest, bridge networking stopped working on my wifi

0 Kudos
wmeng
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgraded from VMWare Pro 15 (on Windows 10) to VMWare Pro 17 this morning and the bridge network connection on my VMs stopped working.

That is why I started searching the community for help. I can see I am not the only one and this is still to be resolved.

0 Kudos
RobRatcliff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've experienced the same problem with upgrading from 16 to 17. It appears it has to do with the Wireless Networking. If I plug in an Ethernet adapter dongle and use a wired connection. I can get the bridged networking to work again by specifying the VMnet device associated with the wired connection configured using vmnetcfg.exe and selected by using the Custom: Specific virtual network in the Network Adapter settings of the Virtual Machine. 

0 Kudos
bidimensional
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't believe this is true. Good for me I tried the v17 Player before buying Workstation Pro, which is simply never going to happen at this point.

0 Kudos
tneiva
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For me version 17.5 solved the problem. Finally!!!

0 Kudos
RobRatcliff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the heads up! It looks like the release notes mentions fixing the problem as well:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/17.5/rn/vmware-workstation-175-pro-release-notes/i...

Wireless bridge connection might not work on a Windows host with DHCP configured

If you use Workstation 17.0.1 or above on a Windows host with DHCP mode configured, a wireless bridge connection might not work on the host operating system.

This issue is resolved.

0 Kudos
Arno_00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, indeed, the issue has been resolved, finally after so many months 🙂

And also in exchange for fixing this they broke the virtual printer... Since upgrading to 17.5 the virtual printer port is broken, so no more printing from the virtual machine. Thank you VMWare, your updates are the gifts that keep on giving... Hopefully I find a work around for the printer issue...

Edit: after looking further apparently, the removal of virtual printers is by design... See: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Workstation-17-5-Virtual-Printer/td-p/29922...

pjakesson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have Windows 11 and a DHCP enabled Wifi network adapter on my ASUS laptop.

I can not get VmWare Player v 17.5 to work with a bridged network with Windows 11 guest.

In an older Player (v 7.1.3 ) I have no problems with (a physical) bridged network to work

with a Windows 11 guest.

So, if I'm not doing something obvious misconfiguration, the issue has not been resolved. 

Per

0 Kudos
marbaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, someone from PR team write in article that it is solved but in reality it is not.

Win11 Host, any Linux guest + USB WiFi dongle. Absolutely not working, neither with NAT, neither with Bridge, neither with DHCP, neither with manually configured IP in guest. It even doesn't work when I pass USB WiFi directly to VM.

marbaa_0-1708329645876.png

0 Kudos
Albager
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

it is not working. only solution to get my VM connected to the network again was to configure static IP on the Windows 10 Host system, then change networking in vmware Workstation Pro 17.5.0 build-22583795 from Bridged to NAT mode und use a DHCP configured network interface inside the VM.

Before it was working reliably with Bridged networking mode on a DHCP-configured Windows 10 Host system, with DHCP configuration inside the VM (and it actually got its correct address from the DHCP service, not a VMware one...).

0 Kudos
coppsi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes it is true  since today 26.2.2024

vmware workstation pro and player running in Version 16 with network .
atfer upgrading to windows 11 no longer  bridge network function enabled with success when startet the virtual machines

vmware workstion 17 last versions also not success.

Whe i read al this problems by running with windows 11 i ask my what is that for a bad service by Vmware, that they can not resolve - such long time knowing about - the issue
Is ist because not earn enough money with workstation products?But get big money for upgrades such 16 to 17 that is for Vmware ok?
Virtualbox Microsoft-Hyper-V the virtual machines are running very well under windows 11 with networking bridge.

0 Kudos