VMware Communities
georgebuzzcock
Contributor
Contributor

Blank vmplayer window with ubuntu vmx

Hi,

Iv set up a virtual ubuntu machine with vmware server in college for a webhosting project. I now use vmplayer to use the ubuntu machine and, in college this works fine even if i use a different computer each time. I installed vmplayer at home and tried to boot up the virtual ubuntu machine and it just gives a black screen in the vmplayer window.

Iv no clue what to check/do to fix it, any help greatly appeciated.

Thanx

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

What is your host OS?

Usually, blank/black windows like that are due to incorrect permissions on the folder/files.

0 Kudos
georgebuzzcock
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry my heads somewhere else, os is windows XP.

Not sure about folder permissions in windows. Im actually running it off an exteral hard drive aswell, just thought it would be worth mentioning.

0 Kudos
georgebuzzcock
Contributor
Contributor

Ok i tried copying the virtual machine from the external HD to the windows machine itself,. Time it showed where i had left off but i couldnt do anything in it. It also took a long time to get that far even though the computer at home is better then the one it works on in college.

0 Kudos
georgebuzzcock
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the nagging on this topic, but if anyone has any idea why vmware could just hang like that please post.

I really nead to get this running from home as the college isnt open 24 hours a day and my house usually is Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
KYordy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Post your vmx file along with your home PC specs, i.e. OS, RAM, CPU, etc.

We, hopefully, can help you get a handle on it then.

Regards!

0 Kudos