VMware Communities
Bi7hazard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Black screens (two or more loop times) while surfing the internet .. 0x8898009b, Microsoft Basic Dis

As the title suggests, when I browse some sites such as Acuvue or eniplenitude the system begins to display black screens, which are repeated even in the order of 4 or 5 blackscreens .. today the error even led me to close the virtual session, repeating myself the windows log-in with the resolution that could no longer be changed until the restart following the closure of the Microsoft Basic Display Driver service ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dwminit

The Desktop Window Manager process has been closed. (Process Exit Code: 0x8898009b, Restart Count: 9, Primary Display Device ID: Microsoft Basic Display Driver)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Application Error
Name of the application that generated the error: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.19041.746, timestamp: 0x6be51595 Name of the module that generated the error: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1949, timestamp: 0xcb12e58e Exception code: 0x8898009b Error offset 0x000000000010fb62 Process ID that generated the error: 0x35c Start time of the application that generated the error: 0x01d8d017e1dda751 Path of the application that generated the error: C: \ Windows \ system32 \ dwm.exe Path to the module that generated the error: C: \ Windows \ System32 \ KERNELBASE.dll Report ID: fc507d6f-1261-468f-a16f-995a4ba65bfa Full package name that generated the error: Application ID for the package that generated the error

Dwminit
The Desktop Window Manager process has been closed. (Process Exit Code: 0x8898009b, Restart Count: 8, Primary Display Device ID: VMware SVGA 3D)

How can I solve? I tried to disable the video accelerator too but nothing, the problem is not solved even if I uninstall and reinstall the wmware tools driver

75 Replies
Radigewski
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue since a few day.

0 Kudos
Bi7hazard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't think it's for the specs .. it does it on both the 10400f and the ryzen 7 3700x with 32gb of ram and nvidia 1660ti

0 Kudos
Radigewski
Contributor
Contributor

Try to update the vmware tools to version 12.1.0

0 Kudos
Bi7hazard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you solve it with that update?

0 Kudos
jmatsujina
Contributor
Contributor

I am experiencing the same phenomenon.

Updating to 12.1.0 did not improve it.

0 Kudos
Radigewski
Contributor
Contributor

The tools update unfortunately solved the issue only for a certain time. After using the image for an hour today the issue appears again. 

0 Kudos
zandokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think I am experiencing the same problem, although I had not realized that this happened while surfing the internet.  The screen goes black every few minutes and some application - I don't know which one - for a few seconds gets reduced to a title bar. (See attached screenshot). The Application section in event viewer shows the following:

The Desktop Window Manager process has exited. (Process exit code: 0x8898009b, Restart count: 2, Primary display device ID: VMware SVGA 3D)

I also get the following error:

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.19041.746, time stamp: 0x6be51595
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1949, time stamp: 0xcb12e58e
Exception code: 0x8898009b
Fault offset: 0x000000000010fb62
Faulting process id: 0x14c8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8d31bc9bab8f7
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\dwm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: af596829-c01a-4e10-9aad-3232d5d31a39
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I went as far as reinstalling both the player and the guest operating system (Windows 10 Pro 21H2), but to no avail. I have also:

1. installed the latest VMWare Windows graphics driver update (I think it's VMware, Inc. - System - 9.8.18.0),
  2. disabled  "accelerate 3D graphics",
  3. disabled side channel mitigations and
  4. repaired the Player install because of a message about Hyper-V. I had to install Windows Hypervisor Platform (WHP) on the host to keep VMWare happy.

Step 1. seemed to help for a bit, but not very long.

Oh, and I almost forgot: another step that was mentioned was to set the Color Theme to either Dark and Light (but not System) in Player's File > Preference...

-------------------

VMWare Player 16.2.4 build-20089737

guest OS: Edition Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H2, OS build 19044.2006

host OS: Edition Windows 11 Enterprise, Version 21H2, OS build 22000.978
graphics card:  NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Driver Version 31.0.15.1654
Dell Latitude 5511

NOT (!) yet installed 2022-09 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 21H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5017380)

update 4-10-2022: By now I have installed KB5017380 - however, still no luck.

update 5-10-2022: I've upgraded to VMWare Tools 12.0.5.19716617 

Radigewski
Contributor
Contributor

Same here with the minimized window

zandokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's much too soon to say anything definitive yet, but since I have installed cumulative quality update KB5017380 (via standalone  installer on https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB5017380) the problem has not yet occurred again. It's only been an hour, but that's the longest period that it has stayed away. 

So I am curious if those of you who experience the issue in this topic have KB5017380 installed?

update: the issue persists, although it did not surface for two hours - which is a record. But this is NOT the solution, alas.

another update: I set the no of CPUs to 1, reading about other issues with graphics related to the number of CPUs. This also didn't help.

diediealldie
Contributor
Contributor

I'm suffering from the same problem. I also use Windows 11 Pro Host + Windows 10 Home Guest. KB5017380 is not applied to the Guest.

0 Kudos
Radigewski
Contributor
Contributor

I check the history of my quest windows event log. The following message (Applictions) starts on September 16

The Desktop Window Manager process has exited. (Process exit code: 0x8898009b, Restart count: 2, Primary display device ID: VMware SVGA 3D)

Prior on the same day KB5017308 was installed on quest and host.
Can someone check and confirm on quest machine?

0 Kudos
zandokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

>>Can someone check and confirm on quest machine?

I can confirm that the issue occurs on my system whether or not Windows update KB5017380 is installed. Installing the update didn't solve anything for me.

I can only hope that the issue is also present in Workstation Pro so that there is a sense of urgency to solve this.

update: You refer to another update, @Radigewski, KB5017308, but as I don't have that one installed I hope someone else can share their experience.

0 Kudos
zandokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, my bad. I wasn't offered update KB5017308, so I can't say anything sensible about it. Have you tried uninstalling it, to see if it makes any difference?

0 Kudos
zandokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It seems that the problem has been resolved for me. As I got a message in the VMWare guest to update the graphics driver, I supposed something similar would happen on the host system (a notification to update the driver). However, when I went to the Dell support page for the particular computer model I'm using I saw that there were a few driver suggestions which were labeled 'urgent'.

One of those was an update for the NVIDIA GeForce MX250. I have updated the driver to version 31.0.15.1654 and the issue has not occurred since. (Almost a full working day now).

This might not help others, but it might be worthwhile to check if there is a new driver for the host OS!

Cheers,

zando

0 Kudos
Bi7hazard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I updated the drivers of my 1660ti (first distalling them with DDU) in order to get a clean installation, unfortunately the problems are always present.

PS: the strange thing is that this problem happens on chrome but on three different machines, always with windows 10 pro

0 Kudos
jmatsujina
Contributor
Contributor

Two of my computers were also solved by updating the host driver.
The Dell precision3240 was solved by updating only the graphics driver.
The Lenovo L540 was an older model and had no graphics driver, but was solved by updating all other drivers including Lan and BIOS.
I hope this helps others.

0 Kudos
zandokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Apparently, I cheered too early again, even after a day without issues. But this morning the problem occurred again. I did notice however that it occurred without having a browser window open.

0 Kudos
zandokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's quite a thorough approach, @Bi7hazard1. Too bad it didn't make a difference. I guess we depend on VMWare/Microsoft to solve this. Maybe also NVIDIA?

Do all of you who have these problems have an NVIDIA card? My PC is a Dell Latitude 5511.

0 Kudos